Wrong sized steerer on Fox float

mac1

I bought a fox fork online- Fox float RL 32 140mm travel. Didn'd read the fine print and bought one with a steerer too wide: 1.5" as opposed to 1.8". Can the steerer be changed on the fork? - or should I just try and flog it?

you cannot change the steerer. but as far as I recall cane creek did a headset that allowed you to use the fork on a standard bike..would add 10mm or so to your stack height but you could combat that with slightly greater sag on the fork.

Erm, no...

Brussel - that headset you speak of is for tapered steerer tubes, that taper from 1.5" to 1 1/8" along the length of the steerer tube. Then you can fix it with the Cane Creek headset, and jimmy-rig it to fit.

For a steerer tube that's 1.5" all the way along, there's no way that it'll fit in a headtube designed for a 1 1/8" steerer tube, apart from trying to either speak with the place you bought it from (swop it out for the right one) or sell and replace.

Sorry bro. Wish I could bring better news...

I have also seen a adapter the cup actually sits outside the 1/1/8th head tube to accomodate the enlarged steerer only the bottom bit is 1.5"

Cane creek makes it its called the xx44 read more here XX44 information

I have also seen a adapter the cup actually sits outside the 1/1/8th head tube to accomodate the enlarged steerer only the bottom bit is 1.5"

Cane creek makes it its called the xx44 read more here XX44 information

If it's a tapered steerer, yes. That will work.

HOWEVER - OP referred to the steerer being a 1.5" steerer tube ie: 1.5" all the way, and therefore non-tapered. You do get them. If it is one of these, then no amount of adapting will work. THe steerer tube will simply be too big for the headtube.

If it's a tapered steerer, yes. That will work. HOWEVER - OP referred to the steerer being a 1.5" steerer tube ie: 1.5" all the way, and therefore non-tapered. You do get them. If it is one of these, then no amount of adapting will work. THe steerer tube will simply be too big for the headtube.

OOPS :blush: Overlooked that point, ja 1.5" all the way is un-adaptable sorry bud

I have often wondered if one could replace the top bearing with a bush, which would take up a lot less space. There is a material called Vesconite, which is self-lubricating, but much stronger than nylon, and is used fairly frequently for bushes.

The restriction would be whether your head tube has enough space for the steerer to fit. With the Zero Stack head set systems that have a 44mm bore (a requirement for the Cane Creek system) the steerer tube will physically fit (38.1mm diameter).

I have heard rumours of being able to fit the Cane Creek XX44 upside down at the top as well (perhaps with a bush?) to fit 1.5 steerers.

ya actually - before you order that thing - just send Chain Reaction a mail asking them if thats teh right thing!!! Just to be sure