CRAMPS!!!

WernerLouwBosman

Good morning hubbers...

Whenever I do longer distance cycling (60km +)or multisports, I struggle with cramps.

Any suggestions on how to manage this during a race or how to prevent it...?

Kind Regards

Do a search. There are a lot of cramp threads.

Eno's or Rennies - short term rememdy.

might consider taking sodium or potassium supplements, if you take some before exercise and after i don't think you'll cramp, but it's generally recommended to take every day. google it :thumbup:

Dr Tim Noakes says that cramps are nothing other than your muscles reacting to having worked harder than you have trained them.

Is it possible that you cramp because you have not trained enough for the longer distances?

I ask because I only cramp at the start of the season when generally I race harder and longer than my training has prepared me for. As the season progresses I get stronger and the cramps disappear.

my 2cents worth

Dr Tim Noakes says that cramps are nothing other than your muscles reacting to having worked harder than you have trained them.

Is it possible that you cramp because you have not trained enough for the longer distances?

I ask because I only cramp at the start of the season when generally I race harder and longer than my training has prepared me for. As the season progresses I get stronger and the cramps disappear.

my 2cents worth

+1.

There was the same topic on the hub before and the general concensus to just train for the distance at your race tempo!

I used to cramp every race - but then I only trained once or twice a week!

I tried everything in all the threads, and websites... only one thing helped:

training for the distance you want to ride and they way you want to ride it!

yup there is no shortcut, unless you are truly one of the cursed then the chemicals might help, other than that training is the solution for most...

also will help if you get a "fast bike" :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It makes sense...

I rarely go for training rides covering these longer distances or time.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will definitely step my weekend training up a level.

Peace

I used to cramp every race - but then I only trained once or twice a week!

I tried everything in all the threads, and websites... only one thing helped:

training for the distance you want to ride and they way you want to ride it!

yup there is no shortcut, unless you are truly one of the cursed then the chemicals might help, other than that training is the solution for most...

So you are condoning EPO's and the like? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Besides what already has been said,I use "REHYDRATE" in my bottles.I used to really battle with cramps even though I did at least a 100km race every week (plus training of course) until I discovered a side effect of Lipitor (cholestrol medication) is cramping.My dr changed to a different medication and now I am 75 pc better.

Good morning hubbers...

Whenever I do longer distance cycling (60km +)or multisports, I struggle with cramps.

Any suggestions on how to manage this during a race or how to prevent it...?

Kind Regards

hehe there is no short term remedy. Training is what you need and then some more training.

Cramps are a result of your body building up too much lactic acid as you are pushing on through your lactate threshold, ie you have basically pushed your body harder than you have trained.

Usually happens when racing. just spin through it in a lighter gear, dont get off your bikeor stop peddalling, and it will pass (painful)

give those muscles a good massage after, as cramping will have damaged the fibres temporarily.

train more... :)

haha no such thing as a fast bike, only a fit fast rider...