MTB Pedals and Cleats

jules1976

hi Guys

i need to enquire which is the best quick release MTB pedals out there.

i currently have Shimano's on and tired of getting my foot stuck in the pedal and loosing my balance and ....... thud !!!

Any advise

Regards Jules

Jules try adjusting the retention springs. Shimano pedals, no service kits, CB choose you parts. M2CW.

First practice engage and disengage on grass.Set the retention springs.Practice makes perfect and realize that sometimes **** will happen.

There doesn't seem to be a clear winner.

Also riding SPD's at the moment, but they've been giving me lots of problems in muddy conditions, so been looking into the alternatives and this is a summary of what I've read:

- Look Quartz: seem to be nice and lightweight, sheds mud nicely, but lots of complaints about niggly setup issues

- Crankbros Eggbeaters: Excellent mud shedding, very simple and effective clipping mechanism, older models require lots of maintenance, exposed mechanism vulnerable to taking knocks, not much of a platform to push on, can't adjust float.

- Crankbros Candys: Same as eggbeaters, but extra platform

- Time Atac: Seem to offer lots of float adjustment, slightly on the heavy side (carbon ones come in at 330g) and a bit pricier.

- SPD's: Very durable and low-maintenance, slightly heavier that other's, not so good at shedding mud.

To be honest I can't make my mind up. Currently leaning towards the Candy 2's cos they've been re-designed and now offer a 5 year warranty.

Loosen the cleat spring a bit.

I purchased some new Shimano pedals this weekend put them on my MTB and then rode round and round the garden cleating and uncleating, stopping and adjusting with the allan key to get it just right. Remember to adjust both pedals. Do it a turn at a time.

Remember that it does take practice though till it becomes 2nd nature. We all fell a couple times at first till we had the hang of it. :-)

Reminds me of a mate that forgot to adjust the cleats before his first ride, he jumped on and sailed off down the road, when he tried to uncleat at the first stop he discovered to his horror that nothign would get his shoes loose. Eventually he lent against a stop sign and unstrapped his shoes to get off.

Edited by crowdude

Jules

I have the XT pedals, and have set the springs at their lightest setting possible. Have never uncleated during a race!!

Loosen the cleat spring a bit.

I purchased some new Shimano pedals this weekend put them on my MTB and then rode round and round the garden cleating and uncleating, stopping and adjusting with the allan key to get it just right. Remember to adjust both pedals. Do it a turn at a time.

Remember that it does take practice though till it becomes 2nd nature. We all fell a couple times at first till we had the hang of it. :-)

Reminds me of a mate that forgot to adjust the cleats before his first ride, he jumped on and sailed off down the road, when he tried to uncleat at the first stop he discovered to his horror that nothign would get his shoes loose. Eventually he lent against a stop sign and unstrapped his shoes to get off.

I adjusted my SPD's very tight and I always been able to unclip....even in mud...so how tight do you make it not allowing you to unclip cause I want to see that for myself?

thanks for the advise guys will adjust the springs and give it a go

got a nice tattoo from the teeth of the crankset on my right calf as a result of this problem yesterday. (:

Jules

I have the XT pedals, and have set the springs at their lightest setting possible. Have never uncleated during a race!!

Me too. On the lightest and never unwillingly unclipped. Now on Looks and it takes a bit getting use to.

XTR SPD's are the bomb and absolutely bulletproof. Tried various Crankbrothers and always end up with something jamming or breaking.

I adjusted my SPD's very tight and I always been able to unclip....even in mud...so how tight do you make it not allowing you to unclip cause I want to see that for myself?

No idea what make/model of pedals they were. So they might not have been spds.

Its a story he often repeats when the subject of cleats comes up. If I remember correctly it was a bike he was keen on buying and took it for a test spin from the LBS. He ended up walking back up the road to the shop in his socks. luckily not too far.

Jules try adjusting the retention springs. Shimano pedals, no service kits, CB choose you parts. M2CW.

+1

I use to also struggle till I did this and never had problems again. Switched to Crank Brother Candy X earlier this year and very nice pedals, now I'm back onto Shimano and can honestly not tell the difference if the pedals are well maintained and properly setup.

Also check your cleats for play and that they are correctly mounted on your shoe.

XTR SPD's are the bomb and absolutely bulletproof. Tried various Crankbrothers and always end up with something jamming or breaking.

I agree wholeheartedly. Shimano XTR are the best.