Maxxis Aspen

MTB_Roadie

Okay....so I am joining the 29er community soon...

Just a quick question, the bike I ordered comes with Maxxis Aspen tires, the reviews on bikeradar, etc. was quite good.

Just want the hubbers input regarding these tires?

I had then on my Giant XTC 29er. Can you say "puncture-fest"?

They are very light though...

Edited by BlinkFan

Definitely not for your wet winters.

Agreed. Typical Aspen reviews say great in the dust/dry/hardpack - not very long lasting (nice soft grippy rubber!) - sidewall concerns have also been noted.

I have 2 in my cupboard and will bang them on when my Conti Race Kings wear out.

Will post when I do...

That is my concern - they are nice and light but light means less rubber and more punctures. They'll go on the training wheels.

Conti Race Kings all the way :)

Running it on the front wheel of my XTC 29er. When I changed to tubeless, I went to a Crossmark UST on the back wheel because the sidewall thickness on the Aspen made me nervous.

So far so good, no punctures from the Aspen as yet

Running it on the front wheel of my XTC 29er. When I changed to tubeless, I went to a Crossmark UST on the back wheel because the sidewall thickness on the Aspen made me nervous.

So far so good, no punctures from the Aspen as yet

I always punctured the rear, so your nervousness was justified.

I will be getting them on there, maybe I must just ask to trade it for cross marks and the shop keep the Aspens then.

btw...how do you find the XTC? heavy/light? etc

I'm on a custom XT/ American Classic / Ritchey WCS fitted XTC 29er and love it.

Super rigid front end tight without being harsh at the back...I find the tapered head tube and thru axle make the typical 29er clumsiness less noticable.

Mine is 10.9kg with Race Kings.

Great bike - a fine purchase.

Same bike (XTC 29er 2011) with the Aspens on.

Took a chance on them for the first 8 days of Freedom Challenge, normally ride Larsen TT or Crossmark with LUST. Was worried about the thin sidewalls of the Aspens, but took some comfort from the reviews online.

Did a Stans tubeless conversion with the standard XTC PCX2 rims and Aspens and it worked fine.

After 8 days hectic riding in all conditions except Karoo thorns (I abused them as much as anybody will in all likelihood do, including throwing them against barbed wire fences from time to time). I got one puncture and it sealed up immediately with the Stans. So all in all a good experience with the tyres.

I will say that they have a minimal profile and I battled in the mud, but then I think any tyre would do in the quagmire which we carried our bikes through. I think a tyre with more profile would just have collected more mud and not have been much more use.

So all in all if I had a choice I would still go with the peace of mind LUST of the Larsen TT or the Crossmarks, but I cant really fault the Aspens.

Enjoy the bike.

I have them on my 26'', love the tyres, perfect for most Gauteng races.

Lightweight, excellent grip in corners and I feel it also brakes well.

Thin sidewalls so cutting can occur, haven't had issues though.

I've only had one puncture so far and that was glass cutting the tread, plugged it and it's working fine.

Cheap(bought local for less than CRC), seated/sealed effortlessly on stans and shimano rims.

Rubber is soft though (60/62a) so yes, not for you if you do allot of tar or training miles as it will wear too fast.

It is designed as a XCO race tyre so treat it as that, it wasn't made to withstand the Epic...

I'm on my 3rd set and still super happy with them.