Table Mountain 100

kandui

As part of making Table Mountain a safer place to cycle and walk, I am asking all of you to join in the Table Mountain 100.

This is not a race, it is a group ride to show that mountain bikers support the initiatives of the Table Mountain Forum, San Parks , SAPS etc and everyone else committed to getting rid of the criminal element from the mountain.

The ride will take place on the 28th of August (it is a Sunday), 9:15am. Meet & Greet will be at the parking lots, top of Kloof Nek Road, left hand side where you turn up to the Cable Station.

The route will take us up Tafelberg Road to the first hairpin turn, where we veer left on to the Jeep Track. From there we ride across the front of the mountain, through Deer Park and up to the Blockhouse. Cycle back to the starting point along Tafelberg Road.

The date was chosen for the following reasons:

There will be a Safe Mountain Day on the same date and we as mountain bikers showing up in a huge group will show support for the initiative.

It gives everyone enough time to clear their schedules and make those 2 hours available.

I get time to find sponsors who might want to get involved. I would like to print t-shirts with TMB logo for the event and perhaps there is a company out there which would like to support this.

We are getting some signage together to mark hot spots on the mountain and the extra time will hopefully allow for them to be approved by San Parks and placed.

Hopefully I can convince a pilot I know to fly over the area on the day and take some pictures of all of us riding.

The later date will hopefully get more riders out and we can turn it into the Table Mountain 1000.

Go to www.tablemountainbikers.co.za and join the mailing list to be updated on this event and all issues around cycling on Table Mountain. I expect the website content to be up in the next 10 days.

Regards

Robert

Edited by kandui

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope everyone is making a note of the date and clearing their diary. We want to try and outnumber the walkers,so that we can be recognised as a strong and unified mountain user group. San Parks still gives preference to walkers, but Table Mountain has been designated a cycling area, therefore we need to come out in numbers on the 28th of August and show that we don't just want to ride there, but are also prepared to get involved in making the mountain safe. 2 hours out of your morning is nothing and you are doing what you are passionate about- mountain biking.

I am working on getting some freebies to sweeten the deal. Print out the attached banner and remember to wake up on the 28th of August and head up the mountain.

post-17562-0-95438300-1310627955.png

Edited by kandui

I will spread the word to the rest of the UCT team, and will try get others involved too... This is a great idea kandui! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Please remember the Group ride on the 28th of August, starting at 9am. I am looking for 100 Mountain Bikers and at last count I have 34 confirmed from the TMB cycling group. 66 more is all I need to make up the 100. Come one, support Mountain Safety. Trying to organise free pizza and coffee at the Blockhouse,another reason to come along. Free TMB water bottles for each rider.

post-17562-0-85476100-1312277136.png

We are up to 65 confirmed riders.

I would like to emphasize that this is not a race and is a social ride. Kiddies are more than welcome and the pace will be pedestrian. We are riding to create awareness.

We stop for a break at the Blockhouse where I hope to have a coffee machine set up and maybe even a pizza oven.

Bring the kids, it will be a nice ride along the trails with an awesome view at the Blockhouse.

I have 81 confirmed riders now. That excludes myself, my wife and 3 friends who are definites. This leaves 14 bodies required to make 100.

Revolution Cycles is printing a limited edition water bottle for the event. You all get one for mahala, so come on. Kulula is offering a plane to bring down some Joburg boys (only joking).

For those of you still considering whether you should attend the Table Mountain 100 or not, I have attached a press release I was asked to write (with some help from a friend) which gives you a pretty good idea of what I going to happen on the day.

Vehicular access to the Blockhouse has been assured by SAN Parks,so there will be some catering available.

It looks very much like we will reach the 100 mark with 92 confirmations received and the word still spreading.

Press Release.doc

post-17562-0-27628800-1312958128.png