Advice on Mountain Bikes

Motard660

Me and my wife decided to take on some mountain biking. We are not looking to race, but would like to participate for the fun and recreation thereof.

After I had looked around we decided on the following in the meantime.

A Avalanche GT 1.0 for my wife and a Merida Matts Lite 1000 for myself.

What I would like to know is your views on the two bikes and if the bikes would be suitable for beginners and to some events with them.

I would appreciate your honest opinions. :blush:

Thank you

Hey,

They are both great quality bikes, and trusted brands. The frames will both be good and will suit your purposes perfectly. Can you maybe find out what components are on the bikes and post it here and people can give an opinion on which components are better.

By the way, do you live by the Umkomaas as in the valley that sani2c rides down? If so, What's taken you so long to get a bike!!! :rolleyes: :clap:

Just remember, the GT Avalanche is more of a relaxed ride and the Merida's geometry a bit more racy.

I would get the Avalance for the wife and a Zaskar for yourself, if you prefer the racy geometry, besides the okes will be checking your wife out, cos she will be rolling on a GT!

Just remember, the GT Avalanche is more of a relaxed ride and the Merida's geometry a bit more racy.

I would get the Avalance for the wife and a Zaskar for yourself, if you prefer the racy geometry, besides the okes will be checking your wife out, cos she will be rolling on a GT!

+1

I bought my wife a Merida XC500 (It has had so many upgrades, the frame and shifters are the only things that came with the bike) and a GT for me.

I agree. You don't want to start with a racy setup. I also know of beginners that struggled getting to terms with the Merida's setup.

Hey,

They are both great quality bikes, and trusted brands. The frames will both be good and will suit your purposes perfectly. Can you maybe find out what components are on the bikes and post it here and people can give an opinion on which components are better.

By the way, do you live by the Umkomaas as in the valley that sani2c rides down? If so, What's taken you so long to get a bike!!! :rolleyes: :clap:

Hi Robrider

I will post the componants now thank you.

Umkomaas is not exactly the valley the S2C rides down. Umkomaas is a town about 10km from Scottburgh where the S2C normally end. The S2C is normally coming down the Umkomaas Valley and from what I understand very nice. I don't know what took me so long to get a bike!!!....I can actually kick myself for that! :thumbup:

The Merida Components:

SPEEDS 30

SIZES 14.5-16-18-[19]-20-22-24"

FRAME Matts Lite-D-Single EG PM

COLOR White/Black

FORK Rock Shox Recon Gold TK Soloair 100

SHOCK

DERAILLEUR FRONT Shimano SLX low 34.9

DERAILLEUR REAR Shimano XT-10

SHIFTERS Shimano SLX Rapidfire / Rapidfire-10

BRAKE LEVERS attached

BRAKES Shimano M505 180/160 mm

CHAINWHEEL Shimano SLX-10 42-32-24

BB-SET attached

CHAIN Shimano CN-HG74-10

HUBS Shimano M595 centerlock

RIMS Merida XD Lite

FREEWHEEL Shimano CS-HG81-10 11-36

SPOKES Black stainless

TIRES Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 Performance

HANDLEBAR FSA XC 180 OS Flat 620[w/barend]

STEM FSA OS-150 6°

HEADSET FSA BB-410 Neck

SEATPOST FSA SL250 SB20 27.2

SADDLE Prologo Phorma Male

PEDALS Shimano M520

The GT 1.0

Frame: GT Triple Triangle design 6061 aluminium with hydro formed top and down tube, zero stacked headtube. Disc compatible with removable hanger

Fork: Rock Shox Tora 301 with 100mm travel, mag lowers, lock out and rebound adjust

Front Derailleur:Shimano Deore

Rear Derailleur:Shimano SLX Shadowow

Shifters: Shimano Deore 9 speed

Chainset: Shimano FCM-442 with octalink interface

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Octalink Cartridge Sealed

Cassette: SRAM Nine speed index cassette 11-32 tooth

Chain: Shimano HG-53 Nine Speed

Pedals: ATB Aluminium body, Steel cage and toe clip compatible

Front Brake: Tektro Aigura comp hydraulic, dual piston, cold forged

Rear Brake: Tektro Aigura comp hydraulic, dual piston, cold forged

Brake Levers: Tektro

Handlebars: GT Mtn Riser 6061 heat treated with 15mm rise

Stem: GT ATB threadless with 25 degree rise and four bolt aluminium CNC face plate

Headset: Tange system for 1-1/8"

Grips: GT Lockdown dual density with allen key fixing bolts

Rims: WTB SX-24 ATB black anodized

Front Hub: Alloy quick release for DiscRear Hub:Aluminium quick release sealed mechanism 9 speed cassette for Disc

Spokes: 14G stainless steel

Front Tyre: Kenda Nevegal 2.1

Rear Tyre: Kenda Nevegal 2.1

Saddle: WTB Pure V with stitched cover and protective corners

Seatpost: Alloy micro adjust 31.6mm

Seat Binder: GT Forged alum quick release