Bike carriers: Thule vs Holdfast

Gearman

Can anyone give me feedback on which of the Thule (hangon 972/4) or Holdfast(SA 2000) towbar bike carriers are the best option, considering that it will have to cater for MTB's. And is it better to go for a flexi or screw down clamp?

I have the 3 bike Thule, easy to use and no problems with it. It is a bit tight for 3 bikes though, it would be better if they made the tubes about 50mm longer. There have been no issues whatsoever with regard to it coming loose or anything like that, I tested it once by hanging on it (87kg), and it stayed tight.

Mine has the screw down clamp.

Edited by Falco

I've also got the Thule 3 bike rack and as Falco says, it's a bit of a dark art to get 3 bikes on there. Been using it for well over 5 years now and it's still going strong.

As far as Thule goes, I can say they have fantastic after-sales service. Haven't had any experience with Holdfast, so can't really compare.

Thule FTW. Don't want to knock a local product, but Thule's attachment system and build quality are just way ahead. But there is a bit of a trick to getting more bikes on, so I'd recommend getting the 3 for the extra space - even if you usually only do carry 1 or 2 bikes. It's just easier.

Go for the Thule. The screw down clamp thing is a pain in the butt. Had one and i gave it away for free to get rid of it.

Another option is the BUZZRACK............. works pretty well....... brother got one recently and we went to Knysna with it..... got the 3 bike rack just in case usually just use it for 1/2 bikes ...........

It also locks the bikes to the rack. BUZZRUNNER 2/3

Buzzrunner 2 & 3 bike carrier.doc

Crown had it for about R3000.00 a few weeks ago. 021 671 6382

Buy a Thule - agree with what others say but it can also be used very easily as a bike stand holder in your garage. Just buy another ball tow bar and bolt it to your garage wall. You can then easily store your bike safely out of harms way. They are also easy to breakdown when you need to travel with it in your car boot.

Towbar on the garage wall - smart...

I have a locally made rack supplied through Bosal, excellent quality and about R300 cheaper than a Thule (R700 for a 2 bike).

Is there one like the above that mounts on the tow hitch bracket, as opposed to the ball? I am sceptical about they stability of the Ball mounting version over long bumpy roads.

Is there one like the above that mounts on the tow hitch bracket, as opposed to the ball? I am sceptical about they stability of the Ball mounting version over long bumpy roads.

The clamp mechanism is surprisingly good. Just make sure the bolts are quite tight and there isn't any movement / play.

I have a ball mounted Thule and recently loaded it with two mountain bikes and two road bikes and drove to Knysna and back without any issues.

Sure that system work fine on tar roads but I generally travel back roads, unpaved and bumpy. I asked a sales person at the Argus Expo this year who was selling the local version and he they can guarantee it wont creep.

The clamp mechanism is surprisingly good. Just make sure the bolts are quite tight and there isn't any movement / play.

My thule hangon sits like anything on the towbar, but I had a scare once with the rubber strap thing that moved so the whole bike was luying wrong when I got home.

Overall good product

My thule hangon sits like anything on the towbar, but I had a scare once with the rubber strap thing that moved so the whole bike was luying wrong when I got home.

Overall good product

I once forgot to put the rubber straps on :blush: Just had 2 tie-straps holding it in place but luckily the bike didn't jump off the rack :D

Sure that system work fine on tar roads but I generally travel back roads, unpaved and bumpy. I asked a sales person at the Argus Expo this year who was selling the local version and he they can guarantee it wont creep.

I was also concerned about that originally as I too often travel unpaved roads. It's my second Thule (I swapped my first three bike Thule for a four bike Thule) and never had any issues even on unpaved bumpy roads, as long is it's tight that mounting won't budge.

Another option would be the Bosal bike carrier.

Check out THEIR site.

They are available from Southbay Cycles in Centurion, but I am certain that your local LBS should be able to order one for you.

They are manufactured in Germany, and as expected from a German product the design is excellent.

Used on tar roads or bundu bashing the carrier clings to the towbar ball like the proverbial smelly stuff to a wool blanket.

Edited by pezulu