Cars at Suikerbosrand

Falco

I want to ride at Sbosrand on Saturday. Can anyone give an idea of how much car traffic I can expect on the training road within the reserve, and what their general behaviour is towards cyclists?

You'll probably not see a single car for the duration that you're in the reserve. Just make sure you ride in the right direction, the reserve has traffic flowing in one direction only, you'll get some angry cyclists yelling at you if you're going the wrong way :D

They generally take out cyclists while they are driving in the wrong direction on a one way. Otherwise I have heard it's good training place....

Ive only ever seen 3-5 cars max on my visits there. They've all been very friendly :)

Not many animals tho. I see the same lot of Wildebees in the same spot every time. Im starting to think they are statues and some dude drives around every morning throwing **** on the road :P

Not many animals tho. I see the same lot of Wildebees in the same spot every time. Im starting to think they are statues and some dude drives around every morning throwing **** on the road :P

My wife is going to be a bit unhappy about that, she wanted to look for Bambi while I show the hills who is the boss...

Edited by Falco

The best bit of road training ever . just make sure you go the right way , otherwise i will be one of the rides that are not so happy with you.

No problem - but can get in the way down the hills. Best solution is to skive off work and go during the week, its very peaceful. Although sometimes the workers in their bakkie come the wrong way, but then on the other hand they are your friends: they gave me a lift back once after I flatted with 20 k's to go (and having left spares at home)

Edited by kosmonooit

The cars are the least of your worries. Please be very cereful on the sharp bends on the fast downhills. Many cyclist gone straight to hospital from there before. If you can, stay to the speed limit on the downhills (I know, I know). Also watch out for the animals too. A friend of mine had a 3 month hospital stint after a meeting there with a duiker. Awesome place to ride.

So not many cars then. How many cyclists on an average Saturday, and what times do they ride? From what time can we ride?

Do they have mtb trails open yet? Is the meditation hut open? We have seen plenty of animals there on hikes...

Well, most I have seen midweek is 5 cars, all going the wrong direction. Mostly its 3-5 mix of private and reserve staff taking short cuts. You must be careful on bends as the grass can be tall on the road verge and the road is narrow, so becomming a hood ornament on some fool's car travelling the wrong way is a distinct possibility.

Going early guarantees good wildlife viewing. Last sunday I saw the following on or next to the tar: red hartebees, mtn rheebuck, 3 jackals, duiker, springbuck, wildebees, blesbuck, zebra, eland, and baboon leaving steamy bombs on the road. Great wildlife viewing.

Take it easy at 12km mark on the steep downhill switchbacks.

Glad you got the petrol to go there! ;)

Gates open at 07.00 so you can ride anytime after that. Plan for a good few hours.

Hi, is the road surface ok for road bikes?

Perfect for road biking - the most dangerous things are small rocks dragged onto to the road by animals walking across and poop.

Best 60km you'll ride anywhere near Jhb!!!

Thank you Eldron, I will definitely go and try it, heard that it is a good place to train. Somebody just complained last year about plenty punctures.