Prices of second hand bikes....

tunariaan

I've been looking at bikes for some time now, seems like most okes here on the hub advertize way above the real prices of the bike , with certain models that a year or 3 old with extra components they want the same prices as just about a new bike

Crazy if you ask me

Thats all relative and dependant on the bike, its condition and whats been added. As with any other product, the seller has a price in mind and will start above that and then negociate...or at least thats what I would do.

I've been looking at bikes for some time now, seems like most okes here on the hub advertize way above the real prices of the bike , with certain models that a year or 3 old with extra components they want the same prices as just about a new bike

Crazy if you ask me

I was also looking at the second hand bikes and notice the same thing. Yes, with some of the components I can still agree, but even with stock standard bikes the price is sometimes more than the new bike. It could also be that the new prices drop due to how older that specific model gets. That is why I decided to rather bay new. :thumbup:

I think bike prices have dropped hugely in a lot of brands over the last year or two so relative to what they paid it might be reasonable, but compared to current prices it's very high... I was quoted R21k for a Merida HFS1000 about 2 years ago, the equivalent specced bike which is probably the Matts Lite 3000 is now R15k. Someone with a spotless HFS1000 would be justified in thinking R15k was a reasonable price if they didn't know the replacement cost now. You can always offer what you think something is worth and explain why to the seller and maybe they agree?

Edited by Edge_Design

I think bike prices have dropped hugely in a lot of brands over the last year or two so relative to what they paid it might be reasonable, but compared to current prices it's very high... I was quoted R21k for a Merida HFS1000 about 2 years ago, the equivalent specced bike which is probably the Matts Lite 3000 is now R15k. Someone with a spotless HFS1000 would be justified in thinking R15k was a reasonable price if they didn't know the replacement cost now. You can always offer what you think something is worth and explain why to the seller and maybe they agree?

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I find that if you look around you can always find a great 2nd hand deal.

but with the rand getting stronger the dollars' value decreases and so, because most bike companies HQ's are in the US it affects the pricing of the bikes.

I find that if you look around you can always find a great 2nd hand deal.

but with the rand getting stronger the dollars' value decreases and so, because most bike companies HQ's are in the US it affects the pricing of the bikes.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The Rand has gained ground for a while now making new bikes cheaper - I think people are selling their older bikes relative to what they paid for them not relative to the cost of the new bikes. The effect is that the gap between new and used bikes has shrunk.

That said - a deal is a price affordable to the buyer and acceptable to the seller - bargains are still available.

THAT said - there are loads of bargain hunters on thehub - everytime I advertise something at least 75% of the PM's are of the "I can offer you a third of what you want - let me know if you're keen" style...

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The Rand has gained ground for a while now making new bikes cheaper - I think people are selling their older bikes relative to what they paid for them not relative to the cost of the new bikes. The effect is that the gap between new and used bikes has shrunk.

That said - a deal is a price affordable to the buyer and acceptable to the seller - bargains are still available.

THAT said - there are loads of bargain hunters on thehub - everytime I advertise something at least 75% of the PM's are of the "I can offer you a third of what you want - let me know if you're keen" style...

The thing is, is that compared to the euro, the rand has not gained much so even though the italian bikes (some of them) are overpriced the gap is now getting bigger between american and european brands making it even better to go for american or locally produced bikes, besides the hassles of frame warranties with italian brands.

Not at all saying that they aren't good bikes, just expensive.

So true.!

Most prices are avertised based on original pruchase price as well as sentimental value.

No homework is done to establish current retail and relative 2nd hand value.

Needless to say, Hubbers will point out that mistake very quickly, and if the seller is open to advice, the price will be adjusted accordingly.

I agree a lot of second hand bike prices are too high. I have bought 3 bikes in the last year, looked at what was available 2nd hand and when comparing to new price at the time, it was always a better deal overall to buy new. IMO used bikes are a bit of a risk unless you know the owner and the history of the bike. I won't buy a second hand bike unless there is a substantial discount over the equivalent new product, to cover the inevitable issues that will occur once I start riding it.

People buy second hand for one reason only and that is to get a bargain. I wish sellers would realise that. No-one will pay R18 000 for a 2nd hand bike when you can get it new for R19 000.00.

People think "hardly ridden" means it is still show room condition. They don't know it loses 10% (of the current price, not ticket price) the second it leaves the shop. I will not even get 50% of what I payed for my MTB when I sell it even though it has less then 40 hrs of riding on it and it is showroom condition.

People think "hardly ridden" means it is still show room condition. They don't know it loses 10% (of the current price, not ticket price) the second it leaves the shop. I will not even get 50% of what I payed for my MTB when I sell it even though it has less then 40 hrs of riding on it and it is showroom condition.

ahhhh Mampara aka Andre3000 is terug :clap:

I feel you, people overestimate their secondhand bike's worth and then get snotty and say the hub is a sharktank... A good place to start is 50% and dropping.

ahhhh Mampara aka Andre3000 is terug :clap:

I feel you, people overestimate their secondhand bike's worth and then get snotty and say the hub is a sharktank... A good place to start is 50% and dropping.

50% is too much, also depends if you've upgraded anything.

I beleive there is a sliding scale, the more expensive the bike was bought for the lower the percentage it can be sold for.

Eg: you buy a R75000 bike, sell it for R30000

You buy a R15000 you can sell it for R12000.

I beleive there is a sliding scale, the more expensive the bike was bought for the lower the percentage it can be sold for.

No matter what the original price ~ once it leaves the showroom, 20% of the value is gone. As soon as it turns a wheel on the road or dirt, another 20% is gone. Start from there when pricing a 2nd hand item and it might sell.

Yip agreed :thumbup: I also like your sliding scale, whether the guys want to know it or not, a 3000 ZAR silverback will keep its value better than a 2011 sworks epic. I think also carbon doesnt hold its value well on mtb's

Ok who wants to let their 29'er sworks stumpjumper frames go for lets say...R10 and a piece of chicken