Tour de France - Stage 12 - Cugnaux > Luz-Ardiden - 211 km

Squier

So, the first big day is here!

The peleton will have one Cat 1 climb to negotiate before taking on the mighty Col du Tourmalet! I don't expect too many fireworks on the Tourmalet, but expect the likes of Leopard-Trek and BMC pushing the pace and dropping some of the wekaer climbers that managed to hold on over the earlier cat 1 climb.

We then head down to the foot of Luz-Ardiden where the fun should start! My predictions for today: Evans to crack on the final climb, Contador to attack early on the final climb, Andy to only consolidate his lead and take yellow. However, if the big guns leave the attacking for late up the climb to Luz-Ardiden Voeckler might survive in yellow for another day but if Contador goes early it's over. :(

Also, very interested to see what the inconspicuous Mr Basso's form looks like!

According to the time schedules the main peleton should head over the the Tourmalet by 16h00 and summit Luz-Ardiden just before 17h00!

I'll be leaving Sandton at 3 and catch all the action live and in HD from the bottom of the Col du Tourmalet! :clap: :D :clap: :D

Edited by Squier

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Profile

post-7796-0-26276500-1310620700.gif

The last km - not sure if this is a finsih that will suit Cavendish. :P :P :P :P

post-7796-0-98162200-1310620708.gif

Its the first time i'm happy that i'm sick so that i can stay at home to watch all the action. Go Contador!!!!

From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luz_Ardiden

Starting from Luz-Saint-Sauveur (710 m.), the climb to Luz Ardiden (1720 m.) is 14.7 km long. Over this distance, the climb is 1010 m. (an average of 6.9%). The maximum gradient is 10%[1].

[edit] Tour de France

The road up to Luz Ardiden.Luz Ardiden has been the finish-line for a Tour de France stage several times.

[edit] Tour de France stage finishesYear Stage Category Start of stage Distance (km) Stage winner Yellow jersey

2011 12 HC Cugnaux 211 – –

2003 15 HC Bagnères de Bigorre 159.5 Lance Armstrong Lance Armstrong

2001 14 HC Tarbes 144 Roberto Laiseka Lance Armstrong

1994 12 HC Lourdes 204.5 Richard Virenque Miguel Indurain

1990 16 HC Blagnac 215 Miguel Indurain Claudio Chiappucci

1988 15 HC Saint-Girons 187.5 Laudelino Cubino Gonzalez Pedro Delgado

1987 14 HC Pau 166 Dag Otto Lauritzen Charly Mottet

1985 17 HC Toulouse 209.5 Pedro Delgado Bernard Hinault

On the 2003 Tour de France, Lance Armstrong was riding with Iban Mayo at the start of the climb to Luz Ardiden when Armstrong crashed, bringing Mayo down with him. The fall was caused when Armstrong caught the handlebar of his bike on the strap of a spectator's bag. Jan Ulrich, who was riding just behind Armstrong and Mayo, avoided the crash, and in an act of chivalry he slowed to wait for the fallen riders. Armstrong quickly re-mounted his bike and caught Jan Ulrich. Immediately, Armstrong attacked the group of riders, none of whom could follow him and he powered his way to win the stage by 40 seconds, on his way to a victory on the Champs Elysees by 1 minute 1 second.[2]

I still have that on my PVR... don't think I'll ever delete it!

Never mind Evans, don't care about him. It's time for Contador to step on the gas and send the Gay-o-pard crowd back to where they came from. Today please.

Never mind Evans, don't care about him. It's time for Contador to step on the gas and send the Gay-o-pard crowd back to where they came from. Today please.

Or maybe we will see his knee pop...and Andy put another minute into him... oh the fun and games ;)

one of the schlecks will be in yellow tonight.

Makes you think S.A.'s hills are only bumps.

Or maybe we will see his knee pop...and Andy put another minute into him... oh the fun and games ;)

I think he's bluffing about the knee. We will see today. If the knee is ok, he will not only make up the 1.30 he is looking for, but put a further 30 seconds on Miss Schleck as interest.

taken from wiki ....

".... The Col du Tourmalet is one of the most famous climbs on the Tour de France. It has been included more than any other pass, starting in 1910, when the Pyrenees were introduced. The first rider over was Octave Lapize, who went on to claim the yellow jersey in Paris. In 1913, Eugène Christophe broke his fork on the Tourmalet and repaired it himself at a forge in Sainte-Marie-de-Campan......"

taken from wiki ....

".... The Col du Tourmalet is one of the most famous climbs on the Tour de France. It has been included more than any other pass, starting in 1910, when the Pyrenees were introduced. The first rider over was Octave Lapize, who went on to claim the yellow jersey in Paris. In 1913, Eugène Christophe broke his fork on the Tourmalet and repaired it himself at a forge in Sainte-Marie-de-Campan......"

…and then was penalised for allowing a boy to pump the bellows.

I think he's bluffing about the knee. We will see today. If the knee is ok, he will not only make up the 1.30 he is looking for, but put a further 30 seconds on Miss Schleck as interest.

okay so i have a dilemma.

We've got Contador, Evans, Schlecks and Basso.

So.

According to current form.

Basso<Contador<Evans<Schleck²

mmmmmm if I were schlekies, I would try and break his spirit today...properly, call his bluff or not about the knee etc etc.

demmit, roll on 12 AM

you kidding TW??

how big was the time penalty ?

those guys must be rolling in their graves at the thought of back up cars and radios