Hillcrest XC xourse

BushGoblin

for those of you who live in the upper highway are in KZN ( Hillcrest area), be sure to check out the new XC course that the guys from Specialized ( Burry's shop in waterfall) have cut next to Inanda road. 5km of pure bliss and growing slowly.

You can get the detailed mapped from Concept Cyclery. Will try post the latest map here.

The track is just over 5km in length, with about 99% of it being single track with a long rocky jeep track climb for about 100m. Total climbing per lap is about 125m, The track has a bit of everything from tight twisting singletrack with switchback hills up and down as well as a short rock garden section (still going to cut a chicken run). The track flows and average lap time about 21 minutes. Overall not too technical and the average rider will manage it. There are organised rides from the shop in waterfall every saturday at 7am but is open to be ridden at any time with no charge, arrive and ride.

How technical is it?

I spent many a day at the track on my own clearing single track without any problems. In addition I ride there on my own(not advisable) at various time without any issues. There is always someone riding the track but if you are nervous arrange your own group or meet at the shop on a saturday at 7am and ride with the group.

How safe is it?

If anyone is keen to ride send me a pm and we can arrange a ride. We are planning a night ride in the near future if there is enough interest.

Group fun ride for some laps at x-country track leaving the shop (concept cyclery waterfall) at 2pm tomorrow afternoon, ride led by Burry Stander, all welcome

Group fun ride for some laps at x-country track leaving the shop (concept cyclery waterfall) at 2pm tomorrow afternoon, ride led by Burry Stander, all welcome

Sweet - going for a road ride tomorrow morning with a mate. Will see how we feel and maybe pull in. But riding with a legend like Burry, you got to be stupid to pass that up :)

who has ridden the course it would be good to get feedback, Burry says its great as it has got enough of everything needed to train on

• 2 weeks later...

I had a ride the other weekend and great course will be back for more. Thanks for all the work that has been put in.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The trail has been cleared of all the over friendly Lantana weed, and the few trees that blew over in last weekends storm. :clap: :clap:

Please ride the new (rocky) switchback trail! :D

You will find it on the left as you come out of the exit from the base of the technical rockgarden. It climbs UP the grass slope above the rocky jeep track, and eventually exits at the top of (the same) rocky jeep track.

Invite your friends. ;) Please remember that there is an Honesty Box located at the Specialized Concept Shop, Link Hills Center. The moneys are used towards maintaining existing and building new trail.

As an aside: If you should witness any illegal dumping taking place, please note the vehicle registration, make and/or any other markings as well as the date and time.

Please PM this information to The Drongo. (Please consider your health and safety and do not confront the perpetrators). The Landowners have been grateful for information sent them to date.

Remember: Always wear a helmet. :ph34r: