Mid-level Bib Shorts

pauloc

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for new bib shorts, and I've trawled all the forums and it seems like the imported brands are the way to go. I cannot however justify spending R2000 on bibs, so I'm looking at the mid-level stuff around the R500 - R700 mark.

Does anyone have any input on any of the following:

1) Cape Storm Matrix 4.0 bibs - R599

2) First Ascent Mens Endurance bibs - R599

3) First Ascent Mens Revolution bibs - R799

Any others in that range I should consider?

Also, how long do you guys find your shorts last for? My experience with FA and Velotex is that they don't seem to make it past 1 / 2 years before the padding gives up.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Paulo

Stick with the Cape Storm, I hated the FA Revolution bibs.

Also make sure they sit TIGHT. The fit is very important in maintaining comfort.

If you want to splash a bit, solomons has a special every now and again on Assos...give them a call and ask him to make his pencil sharp ekse... ;)

I bought my CS ladies bib yesterday and will be testing it this weekend at the Baviaans 2 day challenge.

With the fitment alone it was just way above the FA and Salini ones....So I am pritty excited to find out how it will be on the bike! :blush:

I have a pair of the FA Revolutions....

Comfortable enough, but not impressed with the stitching on the chamois, which now requires restitching after about a year and a bit...

I bought a Newline bib 2-3 months ago, its the most comfortable bib ive ever owned.

Stopped using my FA bibs since, just washing the NL everyday and the padding is holding fine.

Costs 950...

Check it out :http://www.newlinesport.co.za/

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for new bib shorts, and I've trawled all the forums and it seems like the imported brands are the way to go. I cannot however justify spending R2000 on bibs, so I'm looking at the mid-level stuff around the R500 - R700 mark.

Does anyone have any input on any of the following:

1) Cape Storm Matrix 4.0 bibs - R599

2) First Ascent Mens Endurance bibs - R599

3) First Ascent Mens Revolution bibs - R799

Any others in that range I should consider?

Also, how long do you guys find your shorts last for? My experience with FA and Velotex is that they don't seem to make it past 1 / 2 years before the padding gives up.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Paulo

For a wee bit more you can get VERY good shorts from Etxeondo, called the Dicolor -R950.

But if it is out of your price range I apologise...

Pity you are in Dbn. The one Capestorm factory shop up here are having an "end of lease sale".

I understand that you have a budget but...

A bib is a very important item in any cyclists life.

The bib should be comfy and they should last to give you good wear.

So, if I was you I'd stretch that budget slightly and lean towards getting something better. Maybe an Assos or Giordana.

Giordana is great, excellent quality and very comfortable.R972.00

http://www.cyclelab.com/products/GIORDANA%20SILVER%20BIBSHORTS.aspx

After this weekends ride I'm actually prepared to spend a bit more. 80km's around Holla Trails with a well used pair of Anatomic's has me walking like a cowboy :D

I'll go into Cyclelab to check out the Giordana's - thanks X-Man.

Anyone have any experience with Specialized bibs / know the local pricing?

if you have a mate going to the UK you can pick up giordana silverline bibs for about R600 they are great I have three years of riding them (i have two pairs and use them 2-3 times/week)

they are just beginning to get a bit tired now!

I'm actually heading over there next month, so I'll have to pop into a few cycle stores :thumbup:

I'm actually heading over there next month, so I'll have to pop into a few cycle stores :thumbup:

Brace yourself to be dissapointed dude...The brick and mortar shops over here are not great , except for one or two of them i.e. SigmaSport/Condor. The rest are small, carry small ranges and not much cheaper than SA.

If you want to do a bit of online ordering before you come, I might be able to help out.

After this weekends ride I'm actually prepared to spend a bit more. 80km's around Holla Trails with a well used pair of Anatomic's has me walking like a cowboy :D

I'll go into Cyclelab to check out the Giordana's - thanks X-Man.

Anyone have any experience with Specialized bibs / know the local pricing?

Pau you sure it the bibs causing the discomfort, I also went through a few bibs before realizing its the saddle that was to blame, check it out

Unless of course you had a ass-o-meter session in which case it might be the bib

Pity you are in Dbn. The one Capestorm factory shop up here are having an "end of lease sale".

Where is the factory shop