Repair aluminium frame

Janels

What about your guarantee, not sure for how long the guarantee is on this bike, Are you the original ownwer and what year is it?

Raleigh give a 5 year guaranty and i think bike is older than that. And i am not original owner.

Raleigh give a 5 year guaranty and i think bike is older than that. And i am not original owner.

As far as I have it the Elite Marathon frame was introduced in 2007. Give it a try and see what you can do. It is worth it.

That, my friends, is not an Elite Marathon frame. That, is a 2006 RDS 9.0. Some time ago, Brandon Els from Raleigh (or the distributor for Raleigh in SA) was selling off brand new rear triangles for this bike for very little money on this forum. Maybe you can find the thread or PM him to check if he has.

P.S. I have a 17.5 inch RDS 9.0 frame frame with no shock you can have for R500.

• 3 years later...

Same thing happend to my Raleigh. I know it's a massive long shot but do you perhaps know if I can still somewhere get rear triangles?

This is how my bike looks. Do you perhaps know what year model it is? The person at the bike shop said that the bike did not come out with the bulge on the vertical pipe and that it has been repaired before. I have tried to google old Raleigh rds 9.0 bikes and it looks like some of the frames did come out with a bulge in the framepost-50175-0-15580800-1423151375_thumb.jpeg

DJE, that is a 2006 model. You might be better off buying a second hand frame. You will battle to get a frame.

There is a guy in Uitenhage that took on a lot of Raleigh stuff from Probike when Raleigh ditched them. He might, by some miracle have something. I will see if I can get his number for you, but can't make promises.

• 8 months later...

DJE... I was reading your post today (was actually trying to find some help in removing the main pivot on the rear a-frame which I want to respray) and decided to check my 2006 RDS 7.0 frame. Guess what, it has a hairline crack in the same place!!!!

My understanding is that alu is heat treated after welding to de stress the material. I think it's practically impossible to repair? Any metallurgists/welders/engineers/frame builders have the facts?