Wheel Issue

samson99

Hello all,

My front wheel on my mountain bike sounds like it is loose but the skewer is tight but there is still paly as of the skewer is loose. ANyone know what the potential problem is and the potential solution?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Johan. Without sounding like an idoit, is that a job for the shop or can I do it myself? How long would it take?

I have Shimano XT wheels.

Can do it yourself without any sort of trouble. 2 size 13 or 15 spanners (can't recall the size offhand) or even your fingers, and tighten the little nuts that are on the extreme outside of the hub, just before the skewers. Just don't tighten them too much, or you'll be squeezing the feck out of your bearings!

Correct tightness - just more than finger tight.

Edited by cptmayhem

Can do it yourself without any sort of trouble. 2 size 13 or 15 spanners (can't recall the size offhand) or even your fingers, and tighten the little nuts that are on the extreme outside of the hub, just before the skewers. Just don't tighten them too much, or you'll be squeezing the feck out of your bearings!

Or if you have a torque wrench you can set it to the exact tightness.

I think it is a 15 and a 17.

You can not set it with a torque wrench.

A torque wrench is certainly not required for this job.

Whoever mention that should >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You'll need 15 cone spanner, which is about 2mm thick; not just a spanner

Ach, Coppi. Spanner, monkey wrench, vicegrips, they all do the same thing. Grip the mofo!

Seriously though - get yourself a spanner set if you don't already have one. You're bound to need it in the future!

I do agree with you about the torque-wrench though. That's like taking an M1 Abrahams to a paintball session.

Fun as heck, but Just Plain Overkill.

Edited by cptmayhem

alternative solution...

get hubs with sealed bearings :lol:

Don't you need to tighten the axle on a sealed bearing hub after you've serviced it?

Edited by AndreZA

Don't you need to tighten the axle on a sealed bearing hub after you've serviced it?

hmmm... right you are... but still way less upkeep than cup-n-cone hubs. None of that coming loose on their own and the wheel shuddering.

...But yeah... thanks for the reminder that it's probably time I service my hubs :lol:

I think it is a 15 and a 17.

You can not set it with a torque wrench.

They do vary form make to make.

Seeing that you adjust your cones with a torque wrench, would you care to share the required torque setting with us?