Cyclist dies after hitting jogger

Tumbleweed

Just got this from Netcare:

A cyclist is fighting for his life in a Durban hospital after colliding into a jogger along Fyfe Road in Westville. Reports from the scene indicate that the security guard was riding down the road at around 18h00 last night when he lost control and slammed into a jogger.

Netcare 911 paramedics arrived at the scene to find the rider lying in the roadway in a critical condition. After they placed him on a ventilator and skillfully immobilized the man on a trauma board, medics transported him to the Netcare St Augustine’s hospital for the care that he required. The jogger escaped the ordeal without injury.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the guys are ok.

Permission to find a jogging forum and whip up some anti-cyclist hatred?

Much the same way as the bicycle versus cars thing?

Hope the guys are ok.

Permission to find a jogging forum and whip up some anti-cyclist hatred?

Much the same way as the bicycle versus cars thing?

Permission granted.

Was the jogger Arnie? The jogger comes off unscathed but the rider is in critical condition.... :blink:

The cyclist goes to UCI ICU and the jogger is uninjured?

Bizarre!

Was there a lamp post or kerb involved?

Hope he recovers quickly!

As a cyclist you just can't win!!!....car hits cyclist...cyclist injured....cyclist hits jogger....cyclist injured.

I am going to quit cycling and take up swimming....(is that safe?)

Wait....shark eats swimmer.....err...i'll stick to cycling a bit longer

Edited by crackajack

Just got this from Netcare:

A cyclist is fighting for his life in a Durban hospital after colliding into a jogger along Fyfe Road in Westville. Reports from the scene indicate that the security guard was riding down the road at around 18h00 last night when he lost control and slammed into a jogger.

Netcare 911 paramedics arrived at the scene to find the rider lying in the roadway in a critical condition. After they placed him on a ventilator and skillfully immobilized the man on a trauma board, medics transported him to the Netcare St Augustine’s hospital for the care that he required. The jogger escaped the ordeal without injury.

Oh hectic, thats just around the corner from me - I hope they are going to be OK.

Any names? as I might know this person.

Tell him to watch out for cyclists, and run with lights on. Tell him to also use a bell.

FFS! That's a dangerous road, and as cyclists we have no choice but to swerve into on-coming traffic, or into the joggers. I think we should have a poll, and joggers should be forced to go and run on a safer road. Dammit. Where's brainwater when you need him?

Edited by TNT1

A security guard cyclist on a game special without a helmet ? Is this what they saying ?

Oh hectic, thats just around the corner from me - I hope they are going to be OK.

Nope that was the full release from Netcare.

I know that the runners, especially the tri-athlete super buffed kind of runners,who use the Atlantic Seaboard as training grounds, take a perverse pleasure in running abreast (ha ha sorry that's just such a funny word - abreast..) of each other. This forces the rider out of the yellow line and into the path of high speed traffic. Now the thing is the runners can see if traffic is approaching. But the cyclist has to rely on the signals his ears are receiving.

Ah I do so enjoy the thrill of the chase - I simply choose a line just inside the yellow line, put my head down and hold it. so far so good..

Nope that was the full release from Netcare.

Ok thanks, thats right were the Westville running club is as well.

A security guard cyclist on a game special without a helmet ? Is this what they saying ?

He was on a bicycle so what difference does it make.Could have been worse if he was on a carbon bike that shattered.

Hope he gets well soon.

Edited by gummibear

Does it make a difference?

Just to add and not detract from what happened,

None of the security guards wear helmets and also have very little road sense. I've even almost hit one of them cause they just ride and swerve all over the road.