Stripped thread

lock

Hi hubbers,

I managed to slowly strip the tread on my postmount, any idea how to fix it? Will I be able to get it re-treaded? The metal seems kinda brittle?

Not sure how much you have left to work with, but you might be able to fix using a helicoil insert.

Maybe melt some lead in it and insert a bolt in it before it sets?But won't be that strong!

Hi hubbers,

I managed to slowly strip the tread on my postmount, any idea how to fix it? Will I be able to get it re-treaded? The metal seems kinda brittle?

I did the same. I used a new bolt slightly longer than the original one. There was still some thread left. Be very carefull not to bottom out the bolt before tightening. Be very carefull as when you strip it this time it s tickets. Use some Blue Locktite on the bolt to ensure it does not turn out easily.

In addition you can also chase the thread with a tap to restore some of the stripped thread.

Be verrrrry carefull though. No superman acts again!

Its easy! Take it to a Auto engeneering works,they can re-thread,tap or heli- coil or re-cut and over size and supply a new bolt.

Awesome thanks for the replies guys!! Will try the longer bolt for the next week and then get it to an autoshop to try and tread it.

Hi hubbers,

probally stupid question, but what is the "postmount"

In Marius' words of old .... that magafta on the leg of the fork that the brake thingy screws on to ....... not be confused with where the post box goes in the garden ;)

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/TECH_pages/TECH_Disk_tab_type.jpg

If you are in my neck of the woods - Fairlands area, drop by with your bike and I'll do it for you. My helicoil gadget is gathering some dust. No need to remover it for the bike even.