joberg2c

TheV

After years and years of (on/off) Road Cycling I have now made a final and total transition to the Off-Road MTB Scene.

I'm really having a great time and my fitness and technical skills are improving daily.

I now find myself with the urge to do a couple of challenging races, partly for the fun of it and partly for the adrenalin rush that comes from competing with other like minded individuals.

I am in my early 30's and would love to do a couple of stage races - but I don't know how one goes about finding a MTB stage race partner.

Not only does one have to find someone that socially fits your personality (as you will be spending many hours together) but also I suppose one needs to find someone of very similar physical ability and fitness. One that both challenges you, but is also challenged by you, I cant see it working if it's a one-way-fit.

For example, I would have love to do the joberg2c. But I have no "Partner".... Where do I find one, how do we ensure we train to be on a similar level? How do I spend 9 days with a stranger in such close proximity.

By the way...

1. I would like to compete/finish in these races in the top 20% or better.

2. My wife already said I cannot get a "Female" partner... damn... (I would have done a search for Top MTB'r seeking partner on RussianBrides.com"

3. Maybe I should wait until i can clone myself - then i would have the perfect race partner....

:blink:

3. Maybe I should wait until i can clone myself - then i would have the perfect race partner....

Can't help you but trust me at Epic this year there were days I would not have wanted to ride with myself :(

Can't help you but trust me at Epic this year there were days I would not have wanted to ride with myself :(

Then please insert YOUR partner contact details below: :thumbup:

<== Name

<== Phone Number

Where/How did you find a partner?

Top 20% mmm :unsure: I agree with BigBen I did the Joberg2c this year and at times were "GATVOL" with my own company.

Start doing some one day races first, you will start to recognize the people you normally finish with, and will get to know them, then start to train with some of them, and you will get acquainted with their personalities.

Do not rush this, stage races is expensive and you do not want to have a bad experience.

Do smaller stage races first, and then tackle the larger ones.

My partner and I normally finish races together, we do however have different strengths and that works out well on stage races.

Hope you find a partner.

Yeah, Its also good to set different goals for different races. For example I did j2c with my girlfriend. Everyone thought we were mad and would break up, but if anything it made us stronger and was a jol. I put my racing shoes away for that one and put on my patience pants.

Did sabie experience with a guy i met on the hub 2 days before the race (confirmed the entry the day before) and we were a great physical match and got on nicely. I think that was a very lucky coincidence though

At the moment Im waiting for my brother to train up to a good racing level. We are garenteed to fight. 100% no doubt about it. but the good thing with brothers is you always make up (you have no choice) :lol:

I think its a whole different thing to racing by yourself because there's a completely different dynamic. there will be days when you feel terrible and they feel great and vice versa. If you go in with an open mind and do it step by step, you'll be fine.