Upgrading to 29er?

JGdp

Hi guys, i dont know if there has been a topic about this yet, so if there was one, sorry about the double then!

I currently have a Raleigh Rm XO, 2009 model, with XO/XT combination parts, mavic 717 rims ect, really not bad components I think?? I do a few races throughout the year and the biggest ones- Sabie in December and Lesotho Road trip with a friend or 2 in January. doing about 12 to 15 hours a week on the bike(if that helps anything). A friend who has done the epic and pioneer last year along with lots of other big races, and doing pretty well in a few of them, he says 29er is the way to go now, he is riding a scott spark limited and 2other bikes at the moment, so no worries in the money department for him when we decide to upgrade. I dont have money lying around or anything so would like other opinions from you guys before i make the decision, which basically comes down to this: Is it worth selling my bike and adding R15000 or whatever the case is, to buy a 29er. Would I benefit THAT much on the 29er?? if you can suggest a few 29ers under R30000 i would appreciate it. thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah C'mon Captain, don't spoil the fun, we all know you go faster on a 29er.....

Ah C'mon Captain, don't spoil the fun, we all know you go faster on a 29er.....

Flip dude after all the work I done this week that better be true and the bit about my hair growing back ;)

Reason I say that - you've got a perfectly good bike and the only reason you're thinking of upgrading is that a mate of yours is telling you that his bike is the mutts nuts. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I presume that you have no problems with your current bike, and in fact are perfectly happy with it.

Look at it like this.

Yes - the 29 will roll easier over the bumps. Yes, it will most probably be a more forgiving ride in the long run. But you will learn more about bike handling and technique through the (regrettably saying this) "harshness" of the 6'er. It will teach you more about line choice & positioning than the 9er. And - you don't have to shell out an extra 10 to 15k for the "privilege" of getting a bike with bigger, easier rolling wheels!

Edited by cptmayhem

Flip dude after all the work I done this week that better be true and the bit about my hair growing back ;)

So you've already tried the olive oil/mayonnaise & rosemary mixture then?

If you climb half as well on your circus bike you will be scary. When is your first ride at Rietvlei? I bet you feel a huge difference. I would be interested to hear your opinion.... About the hair, not sure, but that blonde wig was pretty funky..

Reason I say that - you've got a perfectly good bike and the only reason you're thinking of upgrading is that a mate of yours is telling you that his bike is the mutts nuts. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I presume that you have no problems with your current bike, and in fact are perfectly happy with it.

Look at it like this.

Yes - the 29 will roll easier over the bumps. Yes, it will most probably be a more forgiving ride in the long run. But you will learn more about bike handling and technique through the (regrettably saying this) "harshness" of the 6'er. It will teach you more about line choice & positioning than the 9er. And - you don't have to shell out an extra 10 to 15k for the "privilege" of getting a bike with bigger, easier rolling wheels!

have to admit, that "no" was my initial reaction too, but then all the bloody pro's and the who's who started riding/advertising/ recommending the 9er, and all the reviews pointed towards the 9er, so was really leaning towards it, but like you said, there is really nothing wrong with my bike, doing the jock next week on it as well-haha!!

If you climb half as well on your circus bike you will be scary. When is your first ride at Rietvlei? I bet you feel a huge difference. I would be interested to hear your opinion.... About the hair, not sure, but that blonde wig was pretty funky..

Damn, OK I will have to stay with the blonde wig then :angry:

Riding at the 'awareness' ride with it tomorrow to check it out, Walkerville Sunday on my 'little wheeler' so first Rietvlei will probably be Tuesday .....

Really keen to try it there!

29er is not an upgrade from a 26er anymore than a dh bike is an upgrade from a trail bike. Horses for courses. Have you ridden a 29er much? If not try borrow one for a few rides and take it from there. Having said all that i ride a singlespeed so what do i know?

Don't be silly, why would you spend so much money on nothing but a set of bigger wheels and the placebo effect that comes with it?

I've just spent R30k on new 26er... Could have gone for a 29er, luckily I didn't because I know I would have been disappointed.

I should have rather kept my original other bike and spent the 30k on a couple of biking holidays or other things.

If you are not riding your current bike to the maximum of it's abilities then a new bike is nothing but a luxury.

A 29er won't make your riding any more or less satisfying or enjoyable unless ur maxing yourself and your current bike to the limit.

Also, I think it's to soon to invest in 29ers, the tech, price, geometry and marketing hype all needs to settle down, what ever you pay for whatever 29er will be toooo much right now.... Give it a couple of months at least, new group sets and frames from 2012 is just around the corner!

have to admit, that "no" was my initial reaction too, but then all the bloody pro's and the who's who started riding/advertising/ recommending the 9er, and all the reviews pointed towards the 9er, so was really leaning towards it, but like you said, there is really nothing wrong with my bike, doing the jock next week on it as well-haha!!

As to the first point - I'll give you one guess as to why that is...

That's right. Sponsorship and advertising revenue. That professional base is the perfect marketing tool for the manufacturers when pumping out new stuff. Kevin Evans is riding one - ooooh! It must be good!

Wrong. His sponsor has requested that he ride it. End of. Yes, it looks cool while he rides it. But he's a friggin pro - of course it's gonna look good while he rides it!

As for the mags, it's their duty to test things for us. It just so happens that us Saffas are entranced by all things 9er at the moment. Therefore, the manufacturers and mag retailers are trying to piggyback on that, after they made the pros look good riding the things. Marketing, mate.

My opinion - keep your bike until this whole debate of 6'er vs 9'er vs 7.5'er has been settled. Then decide.

Don't be silly, why would you spend so much money on nothing but a set of bigger wheels and the placebo effect that comes with it?

I've just spent R30k on new 26er... Could have gone for a 29er, luckily I didn't because I know I would have been disappointed.

I should have rather kept my original other bike and spent the 30k on a couple of biking holidays or other things.

If you are not riding your current bike to the maximum of it's abilities then a new bike is nothing but a luxury.

A 29er won't make your riding any more or less satisfying or enjoyable unless ur maxing yourself and your current bike to the limit.

Also, I think it's to soon to invest in 29ers, the tech, price, geometry and marketing hype all needs to settle down, what ever you pay for whatever 29er will be toooo much right now.... Give it a couple of months at least, new group sets and frames from 2012 is just around the corner!

I also heard that the weight and specs are not yet perfected on the 29ers so ja?? what do you mean by "maxing your bike"?

I also heard that the weight and specs are not yet perfected on the 29ers so ja?? what do you mean by "maxing your bike"?

Maxing your bike = riding it to the extent of its capabilities. Something none of us do.