Tour De France - Stage 14 - could be a biggie.

GrumpyOldGuy

Tough stage today where we should hopefully see if 'berto is faking it as Gilbert says or not. We should also see if young Andy is as ready as he says he is....or not.!

Looking at the stage today I think we will see very differant tactics from 'Berto. I think he made a mistake on thursday chasing down the two Schelcks and may have hurt himself, today he wont be so quick to jump.

The Schlecks have created a bit of a monster in my opinion, they dont need to attack 'Berto anymore, but they have to attack Evans.

'Berto, by the same token, at this stage do's not needs to attack the Schlecks either, he has only to mark Cadel.

My feeling is the Schlecks will start attacking Evans today, they have to, he is too good on the TT, so Evans will have to chase and do the work - 'Berto just needs to follow Evans and later use him as a springboard over to the Schlecks.

Lets see, should be interesting.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye, it will be easier to suck Evans' wheel because he never takes off like a slingshot. But I'm not sure those tactics are 100% reliable given that at least one of the Schlecks is more than likely going to ride away from Evans at some point and Bert will be left with a gap to bridge.

Not looking good for Bert. I don't know what Gilbert means by 'faking it' - Seems like crazy talk. Bert surely has to attack early one of of the big mountains and ride away from everyone. Not sure he can win the tour without a decisive mountain stage victory.

So do you guys think there will be a move from the favourites earlier in the stage. They always seem to wait until the last climb of the day to try and do something. I would like to see it happen earlier. Even if they stick together it would be a good showdown to see who cracks with about 2 climbs left in the stage. Seems there is about 3 good climbs today

Ye, it will be easier to suck Evans' wheel because he never takes off like a slingshot. But I'm not sure those tactics are 100% reliable given that at least one of the Schlecks is more than likely going to ride away from Evans at some point and Bert will be left with a gap to bridge.Not looking good for Bert. I don't know what Gilbert means by 'faking it' - Seems like crazy talk. Bert surely has to attack early one of of the big mountains and ride away from everyone. Not sure he can win the tour without a decisive mountain stage victory.

That will come later LL, probably in the Alps, right now 'Berto do's not need to follow (or attack) the Schlecks, but Evans do's.

Following Evans now will keep him in fighting distance of the Schlecks without too much stress on his knee, Evans is not going to let a big gap go now, its too early, unless he has a bad day.

Sure, later 'berto will need to close his deficit, but right now he dos'nt need to.

Of course all this is dependant on how he go's, how Evans go's, how Basso go's and of course how the Schlecks go, but its silly for 'Berto to attack now, tire Evans out, get him out of the equation and then concentrate on pulling back your deficit.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Wow a real monster....

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qi5hua.gif

That final climb is off the charts in terms of Categories!

Definitely a definitive stage.

So do you guys think there will be a move from the favourites earlier in the stage. They always seem to wait until the last climb of the day to try and do something. I would like to see it happen earlier. Even if they stick together it would be a good showdown to see who cracks with about 2 climbs left in the stage. Seems there is about 3 good climbs today

I doubt it, no real point, as they stand the chance of expending all the energy and getting chased back on the downhills.

Depending how fast they go over them all the pre final hills do is thin the peleton a bit. The podium contenders are quite able to take the first two climbs in their stride so I doubt they will try and attack each other there, they may try and thin the peleton out as I say, but mostly everyone just gets back on the downhills.

I don't think Contadoos has it this year - he's too tired from the Giro, while everyone else peaks, the gap is going to grow.

Come on Cadel!!

I think the Shrek 1-2 is going to nail everyone though

Ya I'm also rooting for the Aussie with the squeekie voice hope it doesn't end in tears for him AGAIN......

I don't think Contadoos has it this year - he's too tired from the Giro, while everyone else peaks, the gap is going to grow.

Come on Cadel!!

I think the Shrek 1-2 is going to nail everyone though

Yeah, he is only human.

And still a great rider - without the steak or not.

---

Do not rule out the Basso Man!

Yeah, he is only human.

And still a great rider - without the steak or not.

---

Do not rule out the Basso Man!

Yeah, Basso appears to be improving daily, I never expected it I have to say but, yeah, hope he do's well.

If Clenbutador suddenly finds some form after the rest day I'm going have a few questions for the local Bistro's. With the pressure mounting and the hype over his non performance I can see him turning to the needle for some inspiration.

If Clenbutador suddenly finds some form after the rest day I'm going have a few questions for the local Bistro's. With the pressure mounting and the hype over his non performance I can see him turning to the needle for some inspiration.

:lol: :lol: - Ha,Ha, Naa, dont think thats gonna happen this year, we all know Riis tests all their meals himself first. :D

Schleck 1-2 will destroy almost anybody.

+1

get your race time snacks ready. biltong, klippies, chippies, popcorn, :thumbup: this is going to be an awesome day.

gave the wife some spending. have the remote in hand. pvr working. home alone. :clap: