consistent training

With the recent plummit in seeding it got me thinking. I can pinpoint when i started doing worse. When i started cycling 4 odd years ago i immediately started doing training programmes and doing 10-14hrs/week. My training was very consistent and i picked up quickly over a year or so. I was totally fanatical about cycling.

Well things changed a bit since then. Dont have that much time anymore and for the past 1.5years or so i have been doing about 5 or 6 hrs per week. Quickly realised you cant race league with this amount of training.

Well i want to work on my cycling fitness again but also want a good overall balance so i want to do gym work about twice per week as well. Time is still a issue. I bought the book "time crunched cyclist" recently and will start with that in about 3 weeks. I feel consistancy and quality is the key with time constraints.

Any of you guys have experience with this book or approach to cycling or do you think that 12-16hrs per week is the only way to be competiative. I like to do races but its just not fun when you are unfit or not sharp. I like competing. Dont intend doing league again but just want to be in the thick of things again if you know what i mean.

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Jaco-fiets,

Can you be a lil' clearer with your goal (beyond" just want to be in the thick of things again...")?

This will help Hub dudes & dudettes to give you clearer advice or tips?

:rolleyes:

Well just want to be cycling fit and sharp again and be more or less competative. Will enjoy the races more then.

Question is if some hubber have used the "time crunched cyclist" or do you guys feel the only way is to spend lots of time in the saddle. Not wanting to contact anybody for programmes. If i want to go that way i'll just go back to the guy that use to do my programmes

Well just want to be cycling fit and sharp again and be more or less competative. Will enjoy the races more then.

Question is if some hubber have used the "time crunched cyclist" or do you guys feel the only way is to spend lots of time in the saddle. Not wanting to contact anybody for programmes. If i want to go that way i'll just go back to the guy that use to do my programmes

I was doing a lot of time in the saddle.....if you can call 42 km at 85% six days a week hard. I got some notes based on The Time Crunched Cyclist, astarted doing intervals and hill training. Within 2 weeks my average for the 42km bounced up by 2 km/h, so the interval training is immensely helpfull. At the same time, time in the saddle is always fitness in the bank :thumbup:

I was doing a lot of time in the saddle.....if you can call 42 km at 85% six days a week hard. I got some notes based on The Time Crunched Cyclist, astarted doing intervals and hill training. Within 2 weeks my average for the 42km bounced up by 2 km/h, so the interval training is immensely helpfull. At the same time, time in the saddle is always fitness in the bank :thumbup:

Cool! This is my 2nd week im just trying to build up some time in the saddle. I'll do this for 3 more weeks with 1 or 2 tempo style rides per week and then i'll hit one of the programmes in the book. What i like is that you get about 2 or 3 rest days per week but you also do quit a bit of hard riding. Looks like about 6-8hrs/week which i might managed.

Interval training does help. As soon as i stopped doing intervals i just went backwards. Wont do long intervals again i think. I'll stick to 4-8min intervals. Think i read a article once that states that it is just as effective as 10 or 12min intervals

Edited by Jaco-fiets

James Wilson has a program for the time challenged among us which is based on some strength work and a substantial amount of interval training. The intervals can be done running, cycling, jump rope, etc. I've just started it, so I'll provide feedback at a later stage

ive been using fittrack for the last 6 months or so. their programs are all based around the amount of time you can train per week and include a wide variety of intervals in the workout. i have seen a massive improvement in my racing as a result- once you have some base mileage down, intervals are the way forward. qulaity over quantity.