Why I love my MTB

DJR

Every so often we do a ride that is truly outstanding - I simply had to share my latest one!

The first picture is of the entrance to the Swartberg Pass on the Prince Albert side, where it looks like an impenitrable wall of rock, but turns out to be a narrow kloof with impossibly high vertical cliffs on either side.

post-17716-0-69155500-1310844666.jpg

The second stop is at "First Water", now really deep into the spectacular Cape Fold Mountains, but still fairly easy going.

post-17716-0-79007200-1310844894.jpg

Soon the real climbing starts, now you have to negotiate the hairpin bends of the zig-zags. The trouble is that you can see exactly where you still have to climb, and there is no way to convince yourself that it is going to be easy!

post-17716-0-71481000-1310845105.jpg

An hour or so later you arrive on top of "Teeberg", and if you don't know the place, you might think you are at the summit, but it is only an illusion, the final climb is still waiting.

post-17716-0-28484900-1310845380.jpg

When you see the white stuff on the road, you better be wearing the right kind of clothing or you'll freeze your proverbials off! Just keep pedalling, it'll keep you warm and it's not too far now!

post-17716-0-66043200-1310845526.jpg

Finally at "The Top", if you are lucky enough to have a pair of flabbergasted Dutch (they are used to the flats, you know) tourists arrive before you freeze to death, then you even get a picture of yourself!

post-17716-0-17438500-1310845828.jpg

Man I want to be there!! That is awesome. This is why I think this country of our ( even with all it's troubles ) is so bloody fantastic.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Absolutely lovely

And I love that all your photos show your bike to be in granny gear! No lies here, it is steep!!

The final picture, arriving back in Prince Albert after a hair raizingly fast and seriously cold descent, was prophetic!

post-17716-0-92495500-1310846184.jpg

@ Tunariaan - Nevegal, front and back, if you want it to stick everywhere, always.

@ Capricorn - "Just Do It"

@ KonaMTB - I sang our anthem at full howl going down! You know, "waar die kranse andwoord gee"? And we sure need someone to "bless Africa"! I guess it was slightly above zero at the summit because the snow was melting.

@ Trapper - 2hrs, but it was big chainring all the way to the bottom!

Edited by DJR

Hi. I am so jealous. We have relatives in PA and last Saturday I started the same ride, only to have my chain snap an hour into the ride. Had yo turn around and free wheel back down the hill to cell phone range. I love the Swartberg and recommend this ride as a must. The views and the ride are absolutely worth it! And great pics too, love the snow ones!!

I thought I'd also show you the same place when it it was snowing the day before (still with some bikes in the picture).

post-17716-0-21767100-1310852070.jpg