Need help - Rockshox

Gumpie

Hi Guys.

I need help.

Last weekend i was doing a nice ride out at Teak place. At about 4 km on some nice single track, all of a sudden i found myself being flipped over my handlebars and into the bush.

Once i got and and checked i still had all my limbs attached i checked my bike.

My front shock had snapped on the cross bar, got stuck in my breaks, which in turn cause a lock up and basically wrote off the front part of my bike.

I took it back to Cycle Tech - Kyalami (the place where i brought it in feb last year) and the salesman there even said in all his history of cycling he had never seen a part fail like that.

They shipped it to someone in cape town (not sure who) but i have now been told by them that this part is not engineered to break like this and should never fail. They also say that i must of done something to break it!! They wont replace it or cover any costs.

Now i am basically without a bike as its going to be super expensive to replace all these parts.

Does anyone on these forums have any suggestions / contacts / ideas on what i can do.

I ride a Merida TFS 400 by the way with all stock parts.

Happend to mate of mine,he had to claim it from insurance.A rockshox didn't do anything!It was a Sid

Looks pretty wasted I would say just buy and new shock and rotor,will save you alot of trouble and time and I don't think Rockshox will have warranty on that, speek to your LBS for discount!

Saw you come out with the busted up fork, not cool. What about giving the merida agents a call as well and see what they say?

happened to my brother, he had the SID Race 2009 (factory fault), Rock Shox replaced the lowers, so take the chance and send it in

Same happened to me a few years ago. Rock Shox would not accept responsibility or replace. Became an insurance claim. I now think twice in the way I transport my bike.

Same happened to me a few years ago. Rock Shox would not accept responsibility or replace. Became an insurance claim. I now think twice in the way I transport my bike.

Pray tell, what has transport got to do with this issue?

Hi Guys.

I need help.

Last weekend i was doing a nice ride out at Teak place. At about 4 km on some nice single track, all of a sudden i found myself being flipped over my handlebars and into the bush.

Once i got and and checked i still had all my limbs attached i checked my bike.

My front shock had snapped on the cross bar, got stuck in my breaks, which in turn cause a lock up and basically wrote off the front part of my bike.

I took it back to Cycle Tech - Kyalami (the place where i brought it in feb last year) and the salesman there even said in all his history of cycling he had never seen a part fail like that.

They shipped it to someone in cape town (not sure who) but i have now been told by them that this part is not engineered to break like this and should never fail. They also say that i must of done something to break it!! They wont replace it or cover any costs.

Now i am basically without a bike as its going to be super expensive to replace all these parts.

Does anyone on these forums have any suggestions / contacts / ideas on what i can do.

I ride a Merida TFS 400 by the way with all stock parts.

This break is quite typical of a fork in which one leg had its movement restricted. For instance, some dirt jumpers modify some short-travel forks by increasing the air pressure hugely. Now if they jump, the one leg can move and the otheer not. This causes some flex at the drop-outs and an in-equal amount of travel in the two legs. The arch then snaps.

In your case it seems as if you didn't modify the fork and I would then guess that one leg somehow jammed.

However, examination should reveal all. Get the fork to me and I'll have a look for you.