Mavic Wheels making weird noise

Zatek

During my morning ride my wheels started to make a weird noise. It sounds almost like braking noise and you can feel it too. After a couple of jumps to noise goes away but after a while it comes back. I think the bearings must be replaced.

Any advice or suggestions?

Most likely got pitted bearing or dry beary,especially sealed bearings,believe me,the grease don't last forever..... Take the sealed brg out,go to brg man,and get a new set, won't cost R50!

Nothing to do with the bearings. The freehub body needs a bit of thick gearbox oil. Open it up, the parts that need oil will be obvious but in case it isn't, it is the rubber seal and nylon bushing.

It is called the Mavic Howl. Pretty standard.

Thanks for the advice. The bike was booked in for a full service 3 months ago. All the components are dry.These wheels are older than 4 years. Will it hurt if I replace the bearings and crease the components?

• 9 months later...

Had the same problem, turned out to be a broken pawl grinding inside the hub! Check it!

I wasted a shed load on new bearings etc before I found out. Also be careful putting grease in the hub or freewheel without talking to Mavic, can damage the wheel!

Both wheels or just the back - if back only, start with freewheel body, just be carefull when removing the freewheel body as the pawls can go flying once dislodged.

Nothing to do with the bearings. The freehub body needs a bit of thick gearbox oil. Open it up, the parts that need oil will be obvious but in case it isn't, it is the rubber seal and nylon bushing.

It is called the Mavic Howl. Pretty standard.

:D