Building up new 29er

Big J-WP

So I have taken on building a new bike. What a challenge especially that I cant just walk into any bike shop and pick something from there range because no one stocks suck big bikes. Not going to mention what frame I have ordered. Dont want it to become a debate. But what I can say that its big and correct size.

So I want some suggestions on what to build it up with.

Wheels, thinking of the New XT 29er's.

Groupo XT - 2012 maybe 2011 should be a bit cheaper.

fork this is confusing so many different one's.

seatpost got a Thompson already 540mm. Got fizik saddle.

Stylo bars and stem.

Got Look pedals aready.

maybe Maxxis tyres since there are no Conti 29er's X-Kings UST.

So go ahead and give suggestions. Will sit and look what's for what.

I went XTR for my groupset, including hubs. For the rims I chose ZTR's with DT Swiss spokes and Alligator disks. I opted for carbon riser bars as I find them more comfortable than the Stylo flat bars. I have a Fox fork on the bike at the moment, but want to try a Rock Shox. The bike is just over 10kgs and is quite responsive now that I have the setup dialed in.

All that said, I still prefer my Commencal 26" carbon hardtail.....

I went XTR for my groupset, including hubs. For the rims I chose ZTR's with DT Swiss spokes and Alligator disks. I opted for carbon riser bars as I find them more comfortable than the Stylo flat bars. I have a Fox fork on the bike at the moment, but want to try a Rock Shox. The bike is just over 10kgs and is quite responsive now that I have the setup dialed in.

All that said, I still prefer my Commencal 26" carbon hardtail.....

I'm a big guy and my 26" wheels just look strange next to a bike that has 29" wheels on. just imagine it in your head with a saddle height of 93cm.

Thanks for the input. I also dont have a massive budget so XTR is out of the question. Might even have to down grade to even the SLX. But thats just a thought rather put the 2011 XT on.:blink:

What about stripping your 26" for now until you've put more pennies away for the 2012 XT components. The 2012 XT is a big jump up from the current and is based on XTR components.

Before you go and shell out all this ammo for a different toy, have you ridden one yet? You need to take one out a few times and see if you like it.

"seatpost got a Thompson already 540mm. Got fizik saddle"

Jy skrik nie vir lang saalpenne nie, of hoe?

Holy cr@p, my handlebars are just a bit wider than that

Edited by King_Crispy

Rather get a set of custom rims built up, a lot of people I know have had problems with XT's

Why not look at the new SRAM range of 2x10's ? You can get most to suit your budget from X7 to XX.

Highly recommend a through-axle (either 20 or 15mm)

Then, short stem (+/- 70mm) and wide bars...

In terms of forks, depends on the type of riding that you do, but I think the Fox has more tyre clearance than the RS.... well in the 2010 models at least

If you are riding a 540 seatpost, then the bike is big, which means that you should go for a robust wheel, not the lightest?

I am riding with a RS Recon Silver, hav e tried my friends Fox with the 15mm thru axle, much the same feel, but the thru axle just gives one better piece of mind in my opinion....

Rather get a set of custom rims built up, a lot of people I know have had problems with XT's

Why not look at the new SRAM range of 2x10's ? You can get most to suit your budget from X7 to XX.

Thanks for all the input guys, what a bout the hope hubs with ZTR think they Arch rims? I know fromprevious racing experience when younger. Custom wheels are always stronger..

Thanks for all the input guys, what a bout the hope hubs with ZTR think they Arch rims? I know fromprevious racing experience when younger. Custom wheels are always stronger..

I've just (last week) had a set of wheels built up with Hope hubs, DT Swiss spokes and ZTR Arch rims. So far they feel lighter and stiffer than the original wheels (Giant P-XC2) and time will tell if they're stronger. Had them built because I bent and cracked the lip on the Giant rim.

Of course the Hope freewheel is much noisier than the original Shimano.

I've just (last week) had a set of wheels built up with Hope hubs, DT Swiss spokes and ZTR Arch rims. So far they feel lighter and stiffer than the original wheels (Giant P-XC2) and time will tell if they're stronger. Had them built because I bent and cracked the lip on the Giant rim.

Of course the Hope freewheel is much noisier than the original Shimano.

Thanks, I love that sound of the free wheel body. I just checked on the stans site that these dam rims have a weight limit. Well atleast you can replace the rims easier than the XT ones I suppose.:thumbup:

have a look at the SRAM range, XX Reba (love that shock), and agree with the HOPE hubs with ZTR rims.

If you're looking for a slightly "bulkier" rim than the Arch's, have a look at the Velocity Blunts. I'm running them on both my 29ers and they can take a good licking.

Thanks, I love that sound of the free wheel body. I just checked on the stans site that these dam rims have a weight limit. Well atleast you can replace the rims easier than the XT ones I suppose.:thumbup:

You should be OK if you go with the Stan's Flows rather than the Arches - slightly heavier but much stronger...