bike parks JHB(or surrounding area)

geoffro

Hi all, I am relocating end of month and have searched the web and this site for places to ride(alone unfortunately, am new to JHB) so was considering the bikeparks.But could some MTB'er give brief overview of a few suggested parks.The net can be confusing with old information etc.Not sure what is closed now/moved/not safe.I am not a beginner but also no Kevin Evans.I'm not fussy either as long as I'm peddling out in the fresh air!!

Thanks for your time in any advice, much appreciated

I am a van gaalens fanboy....best ride in GP imo

Safe, close enough to jozi and have forresters on tap...nuff said :thumbup:

Thanks a mil Rouxtjie.

And rest of you "joburgers"? Are you all in hibernation for the season.... :lol:

It was a similar thread Tumbleweed, I purely asked about the MTN cycle park last time. This thread I was hoping for advice on OTHER bikeparks so that I could see what people thought about some alternative venues(bikeparks specifically as I will be alone).I dont mean to fill the forums with the same question, was just hoping to expand my jozi mtb knowledge :)

Is it safe to ride alone there doris? I'm not bringing my machine guns up straight away :lol:

Teak is really great place to ride and it is safe BUT it is moving to one of the other farms at the end of the month. Or at least this is the last I have heard. I do not have alot of info on this, maybe someone out there can give more info?

Edited by Geelwortel

Kings Kloof out on Hendrik Potgieter (N14 after the highway) is good, really tough and technical but great riding.

Do people still go to NF?

I believe it's still quite busy some weekends. My kids have been there with their mom recently. I haven't been in ages.

Hi all, I am relocating end of month and have searched the web and this site for places to ride(alone unfortunately, am new to JHB) so was considering the bikeparks.But could some MTB'er give brief overview of a few suggested parks.The net can be confusing with old information etc.Not sure what is closed now/moved/not safe.I am not a beginner but also no Kevin Evans.I'm not fussy either as long as I'm peddling out in the fresh air!!

Thanks for your time in any advice, much appreciated

Depends where you are going to be living. Van Gaalens, Teak Place, Northern Farm, Kingskloof, Groenkloof are a PITA to get to unless you live on the North Western side of JHB. MTN Bike Park is too expensive, IMHO, for the type of trails you get there. Rietvlei is great for honing your technical skills.

Depends where you are going to be living. Van Gaalens, Teak Place, Northern Farm, Kingskloof, Groenkloof are a PITA to get to unless you live on the North Western side of JHB. MTN Bike Park is too expensive, IMHO, for the type of trails you get there. Rietvlei is great for honing your technical skills.

You could try Logwood, my son and I went there a few weeks back and had great fun. Ended doing timetrials around one of the shorter courses at logwood. Was nice and technical and for R20 per vehicle, a great bargain. Also the funds are going to children at the school.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I now have a list of places to check out every weekend!!