Another crash at Tokai on Saturday.

Top Fuel

There was another crash at Tokai on Saturday morning. It was where the tar starts on the way to the mast.

The TMNP truck passed me first and then 2 EMT vehicles. I didn't know then but carried on. When I got to the tar section the guy was on the ground with the medics and a few other guys. He was moving his arms and legs but his face was not looking very good. I didn't stop as I would have only congested the road. I carried on to the mast and then down. As I was approaching the accident scene the red ER 24 helicopter was landing. They got there pretty quick. So well done to them. The guy was loaded in and sent on his way. I asked the medic for an update and he said the guy was going to be ok. That is all I know. Well done to TMNP for sending up a vehicle and ranger. Not sure what he could have done but good to see they had an interest in their mountain. Well done to the medics for sorting this guy out. Lastly it was pretty awesome to see the helicopter come in and land and do what they do. Just a pity about the circumstances why they were there. I hope they guy has a speedy recovery.

Edited by Top Fuel

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope he gets well soon :(

Maybe its time that SANPARKS started looking at haveing a medic based at tokai on a dirt bike?

Maybe people should be a bit more carefull and ride within their abilities. It seems that it is mostly the xc guys that get nailed.

The transition onto the dirt from the tar is pretty rough there. Lots of big loose rocks all over the show and you coming down usually at one helluva speed. We came down from the mast on Sunday and were easily doing 34/40kmh when we hit the dirt road. That dirt is really loose and you slip and slide all over the show.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery. Gad to hear that the rescue services were responsive.

Seen a bunch of accidents in that area around the hairpin there. It's definitely XC types who are likely roadies. Who in their right mind would go all the way to Tokai to ride up a tar road? You'd be better off doing the hill up to the tar road, take a right, go down bridal trail and back up a few times. Maybe the repetition of singletrack would hone some skill in staying on the bike?

While accidents are obviously just that, it's a huge waste of our city resources with a heli-vac going at about R16k/h.

Seen a bunch of accidents in that area around the hairpin there. It's definitely XC types who are likely roadies. Who in their right mind would go all the way to Tokai to ride up a tar road? You'd be better off doing the hill up to the tar road, take a right, go down bridal trail and back up a few times. Maybe the repetition of singletrack would hone some skill in staying on the bike?

While accidents are obviously just that, it's a huge waste of our city resources with a heli-vac going at about R16k/h.

Agreed...but...I reckon most silly accidents happen on tar or easy dirt roads when the riders are lulled into a false sense of security. Normally riders are far more aware on the technical stuff.

Lord knows we can all do with more single track training.

cut cut cut

Until its you hey grb285

I see you are starting to stir sommer early this week hey? <_<

Whats with the anti XC vibes?

I went to Tokai this weekend and went up the mast actually. Yes its a tar road but its flippen steep and a great workout as well. The fact that its on tar doesn't matter because the real fun at Tokai is the single tracks which we did plenty of on the way down. So ja, I dont see your point there.

Also accidents happen. If I or you were to GD forbid fall and be in such a bad way that the paramedics deem a helicopter necessary then I would be very happy to have it fly all the way there for me. Trust me they only call for a helicopter if the injuries are serious and the evacuation is difficult. Besides, its not a waste of the city's resources as its a private business who do it which is generally covered by the medical aids.

So in conclusion stop talking k@k.

Until its you hey grb285

I see you are starting to stir sommer early this week hey? <_<

shame rouxtjie, joburg making you grumpy? PLEASE block me so you don't have to read any of my posts. Thanks rouxtjie.

Now if you READ my post. I SAID accidents happen. I was just mentioning that every time you see a heli-vac, it's costing the City substantially. Many places in Europe charge the injured for a chopper. The rider who went down must have been in critical condition as there are roads with fairly easy access to the tar spot on the tower.

Really?? - that seems a tad high.

Really?? - that seems a tad high.

hmm thats sounds about right. When I did mountain resuce in the berg. the choppers wanted a R25000 Guarantee befor they would take off. that was 1999. im just glad we have the services around in the first place.

:)

Sorry girls, I didnt see the ER24 chopper bit. Yes, Medical would foot this bill. If you see the red & white chopper this is the city. Yes, 16k. Costs money to keep a bird like that in the sky.

k, you can put your panties on now people.

And yes, I sort of kind of have an issue with roadies at Tokai. Mostly because I'd rather not have to see your ass in lycra, or have to wait behind you because you're too scared to go through a 5cm deep puddle. When in Rome I guess.

***flame suit on***

shame rouxtjie, joburg making you grumpy? PLEASE block me so you don't have to read any of my posts. Thanks rouxtjie.

nah I like rattling your cage... :rolleyes: just think before you post man.

Back to the topic. Hope the rider is ok.

PS I might be wrong but I think they only send the chopper if it is a head trauma so it had to be serious. over and out

I thought airforce did all that for free?

Fuel cost on a small chopper like the ones used by netcare can't be more than R8000 per hour.

***flame suit on***

Gravity riders. They're such poofters. They want a friggin protective suit for everything. Mehehehehe.