Help needed

MTBmofo

Hi, I have recently discovered a couple of cracks in my rim around the spoke nipples. It is a bontrager race lite wheel. I would like to replace the rim, but can't seem to find a replacement. Any idea who sells these rims, or could you suggest an alternative rim.

What I would like to do is buy a new Shimano slx wheelset, but don't have the cash at the moment.

Hi, I have recently discovered a couple of cracks in my rim

With a name like MTBmofo that does not surprise me

With a name like MTBmofo that does not surprise me

Harsh tank ... lol very harsh.

Mofo, if the rim is cracking, just take the hubs to CWC and ask them to build you a new wheel, (if the hubs are still good) Chuck the spokes and old rim.

ha ha Tankman, more chance of me finding cracks in my rear, not rear wheel.

Thanks Covie, I checked the CWC website and couldn't see any 28 hole rims. I assume that as this is a 28 hole rim, I would need to replace with a 28 hole rim - if i want to keep the hub, which is fine.

Give them a call mofo, not everybody realizes it but the front shop and online shop are actually 2 entities, and the website does'nt always indicate what stock is available at the actual shop itself.

Hi, I have recently discovered a couple of cracks in my rim around the spoke nipples. It is a bontrager race lite wheel. I would like to replace the rim, but can't seem to find a replacement. Any idea who sells these rims, or could you suggest an alternative rim.

What I would like to do is buy a new Shimano slx wheelset, but don't have the cash at the moment.

There's your problem Mofo. I just love saying that! If their MTB Race Lite rims are as bad as the Road Race Lite, then cut your losses and get another rim. Just Fun are the agents, the same guys that do Trek.

If that is a paired-spoke wheel like I suspect, you're screwed. It is either the right Bontrager part number or a new wheel.

It is extremely tricky to build a paired-spoke hub into a standard rim.

You're screwed.

It is extremely tricky

That's up to mofo's own interpretation,either a threat or a promise?

Edited by Tankman

More help needed?

Thanks for pointing that out, didn't realize spell kekker doesnt work through the mobile site!

And No I am not helping thank you very much.

The problem with paired-spoke wheels is that they're evil, invented by Satan himself.

It is a stupid design that exists exclusively to make the wheel look different from others. Rolf re-invented the design after 100 years (yes, the patent is 100 years old) and others followed suit. Campag engineers, after drinking too much chianti, decided that a triple-cluster design is obviously one better than a paired design and went with that.

The problem for the poor consumer (who actually deserves the punishment because he fell for the nonsense in the first place) is that as soon as the rim fails, the wheel is a write-off. The rim usually fails just after the product changes agents and then that particualr spare part is no longer available. These paired-spoke rims are proprietary, as is their hubs.

There are dozens of doomed Rolf and Bontrager wheels hanging in workshops all over the place waiting in vain for meeting up with a unique rim/spoke sometime.

With a normal wheel one simply finds another rim and either replace the spokes or change their length, and rebuild the wheel.

With these wheels it is virtually impossible. A paired-spoke rim works with a paired-spoke hub. In other words, the hub holes are not evenly spaced but in clusters separated by inequal spaces. For the wheelbuilder to calculate the lengths of spokes required to build a wheel using a new evenly-spaced rim with a paired-spoke hub is just not worth it.

And why should he? The customer will bitch about the pricea nd bitch about the fact that the hub now says Bontrager and the rim says Mavic and the wheel is not a cross-breed etc etc etc.

That's why he's screwed.