Which frame?

BernardG

I am thinking of buying myself a Hardtail 29er. Can anybody give me some advice on what to buy, what is any good?

I am looking at a ali frame bike, as the carbon one are way to expense for me. I would like to spec it with XT or X9.

Can you guys please help me. How is the Bulls Copperhead 29" like?

Looking to spend about 20k.

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard some very good stuff about the Bulls frames, but have no personal experience with them. I've got a Stumpjumper S-Works 29er HT, that is giving me all the pleasure I can handle, but maybe a little over your price point (they go for about R26 000 - frame, fork and seatpost). Why not test the Stumpjumper Expert?

I am thinking of buying myself a Hardtail 29er. Can anybody give me some advice on what to buy, what is any good?

I am looking at a ali frame bike, as the carbon one are way to expense for me. I would like to spec it with XT or X9.

Can you guys please help me. How is the Bulls Copperhead 29" like?

Looking to spend about 20k.

Thanks

If budget is a concern then don't buy a frame and build kit - it's always cheaper to buy a full bicycle.

For around R20K the Giant XTC is a fine choice. Likewise some of the Momsen stuff. A carbon Felt is just over R20K if you can stretch it. Silverback Segma is probably the best bang for buck!

If budget is a concern then don't buy a frame and build kit - it's always cheaper to buy a full bicycle.

For around R20K the Giant XTC is a fine choice. Likewise some of the Momsen stuff. A carbon Felt is just over R20K if you can stretch it. Silverback Segma is probably the best bang for buck!

Are you not talking about the Felt 26" Carbon bike that is going for just over R20k?

I can do a stretch if I feel it is worth it.

Are you not talking about the Felt 26" Carbon bike that is going for just over R20k?

I can do a stretch if I feel it is worth it.

You were talking 29ers so it would be the Felt Elite Nine. It's a 29er and costs ~R21K.

The colours can only be described as hideous though!

You were talking 29ers so it would be the Felt Elite Nine. It's a 29er and costs ~R21K.

There is a large frame in the classifieds now for a great price.

Sorry did not realise that was a carbon frame! But yes that colour does not work for me! So is the XTC any good? Is it not too heavy?

Do you like the bulls bikes? And do you know what a Copperhead 29 would cost with XT or X9 on?

How about a little Chumba?

I have never heard of a Chumba? Who would stock them? I am in Cape Town.

There is a large frame in the classifieds now for a great price.

I have seen it. A bit ugly for me and I am a medium.

I have never heard of a Chumba? Who would stock them? I am in Cape Town.

drop nagala a pm, hells sort you out asap!

Heard he also has a 2012 XT groupset ...

I have the copperhead and am very happy with it. The geometry is the same as the Niner frames and it is good value for money. Weight wise it is not the lightest (1750 or so with headset) but only marginally heavier (150g or so) than the giant or the scott.

I had a niner air 9 but broke it after 3 months. It was a little more plush than the bulls bike....

Sorry did not realise that was a carbon frame! But yes that colour does not work for me! So is the XTC any good? Is it not too heavy?

Do you like the bulls bikes? And do you know what a Copperhead 29 would cost with XT or X9 on?

I have the XTC and am very happy. Standard I think they weigh about 12.2kg. Mine has full XT, American Classic wheels, ritchey wcs alu finishing kit, conti race kings and weighs in at about 10.9kg

The front end of the XTC is a class leader I reckon - the 15mm thru axles combines with the Fox shock and tapered head tube makes the front rigid and predictable.

I was on a Niner Air 9 and think the XTC is better.

The standard XTC spec is not bad - SLX with XT read mech. The Giant wheels are a bit portly and the brakes are cheapy shimanos but functional enought to race on - I put the std brakes on my 29er SS and they work fine.

Band for buck has to be between the Silverback Segma (great spec and great wheels but the frame is well - kinda average). Weight is in the 11 someting kg class.

XTC has a fantastic platform (frame and fork) but is weaker than the Silverback on spec.

Bulls frames I have not ridden so can't comment.

Niner frames are great but the "frame only" availability means you'll end up with an expensive build. Great boutique bikes with street cred though - I have the steel MCR as my SS. The Niner Air 9 was also the best available frame at the time - other companies have improved and Niner has been a bit static with the Air frames - they seem to be spending more R&D time on the dual susser stuff. They're getting suspension tweaks, tapered head tubes etc. Air frames seem to be "old faithful".

Right - the bumbling stops here...if I had ~R20K to spend on a 29er it would be between the Giant XTC1 and the Silverback Segma.

Try the Santa Cruz Highball................ Don't think many people know about it. Their Duel Sus bikes are awesome so can't see their 29er being bad.

Ok I have been down this same road ,

Giant is nice ( ridden one so can give comment ) i just dont like the new colour so waiting to see what the 2012 will look like .

Segma is best value for money but they have no stock and are waiting to see the 2012 modles too before shipping .

In saying that i have put my 29er purchase on hold till next year.

Besides my 26" bike rocks !!!!! still not convinced about the 29er thing for me personally.

The Yeti 29 is good value for money. It may be a bit more than you are looking at but you will not be sorry as it has a fantastic feel to the bike. the geometry is just right. Morningside cylles if you are in JHB.