Second Hand Bike Values

hyltonenglish

Hi all!

Please help, im thinking of selling my Full sus to buy another bike but have no idea what to ask in terms of price.

The bike is specced as follows:

Morewood shova St frame 2009

Fox RP23 rear shock

Rock shox Revelation 2010 120-150mm u-turn 9month old

Stylo oct crank 3x9 7 month old

Crank brother acids pedals

XO cassette 7 month old

Stylo seat post

Stylo stem

holzfellar handle bars

deore front deraileur

xtr rear deraileur oldish

xt shifters -oldish

hope pro 2 hubs with mavic en521 rims

most of the components are a year or younger old except the shifters and deraileurs.

Can anyone give me a value if I were to sell it?

Thank you!

Still in good condition and was built up as a trail bike.

Welcome to the Hub hiltonenglish.

As previously stated some photos will help plus be prepared for a shock at what you might be able to get for your bike - second hand bikes are not exactly rocking the financial world when it comes to prices.

Good luck with the sale if you go through with it.

Start from the lowest discounted retail price for a new bike. Lets say this is R10 000 for example. Deduct VAT of 14%, this brings it down to R8772. Deduct retail markup of between 20-30%. Now the price is between R 6748 and R 7310 . Now add a second hand discount according to year model, km's done, condition of parts etc. This can be anything from 10% to 50% (or even worse).

So at a min, you are looking at a discount of 40% from new or a price of R6000, but it can be a lot lower depending on the condition, year model etc. I generally don't get interested if the price is not at least 50% less than a new one.

The rough guideline I use when selling stuff is to find the cheapest available, reputable price that someone could get a new equivalent. I look at both local shops in my area, online shops like CWC and oversees shops like CRC, Wiggle etc. (including VAT, duties and shipping for these). I then take about 50% of that price as a starting point. I'll then adjust it up or down a bit, depending on age, mileage and condition. It usually ends up around 40%-60% of the new price.

Thank you for the responses! Gives me a good idea where to start! Doesnt seem like its really all that worth selling it if it has already depreciated in value like that!

Thank you for the responses! Gives me a good idea where to start! Doesnt seem like its really all that worth selling it if it has already depreciated in value like that!

Yip.

I have 9 bikes because, when selling, i could never get the money I thought a bike was worth to me.

I have given some away, lent some to mates, turned them into commuters, broken them up and built new things out of old and now some have become classics.

Don't spend more on a new bike than you can afford to write off. It is not an "investment" and you will find out that, as you say, "(it) Doesnt seem like its really all that worth selling it" :thumbdown: