Storms river traverse

I have entered the Storms river traverse which is intended to be "family orientated" ie mainly for the week end warrior type of rider !

I have never done a stage race,so this 3 day event should be great.Is anyone else doing this race?

I'm also doing a road cycle from PE to CT in the middle of September for charity-heart foundation (over 6 days) - any possible sponsors out there !

I'm also doing a road cycle from PE to CT in the middle of September for charity-heart foundation (over 6 days) - any possible sponsors out there !

How are you involved with the Heart Foundation ?

The tour is being done through my club ie PE Masters,so they will arrange the payment of the sponsorship to the Heart Foundation.

The "cost" of the tour is R7000 of which a portion will go to the charity

also doing the storms river traverse.got a mail over the weekend to indicate that distances has changed from those advertised on the website.i am going in blind as i have not got a clue as to type of distances to have covered during training.as to training i have been watching the tdf and earlier the year the cape epic on tv.

also doing the storms river traverse.got a mail over the weekend to indicate that distances has changed from those advertised on the website.i am going in blind as i have not got a clue as to type of distances to have covered during training.as to training i have been watching the tdf and earlier the year the cape epic on tv.

Stage 1 and stage 2 both will start and finish through the storms river pass.( Go through pass and come back to finish - Makes for a nice 4,5 km up at the end of stage 1 and 2 ) My In-laws stay in Storms river Village and when I visit I ride through the pass alot. I stayed there through the Knysna oyster fest and Big 5 challenge and rode this route a few times.(Stage 1 and 2)

After all the rain the gravel road down the pass is non-existent and a part of the road has fallen away. Very rocky (loose rocks) and muddy at places and has 2 crossings and will be a good test.

The roads through te Plantations are not to bad and best , the secondary roads will be flat and fast.

I spoke with some locals and the Doctor on duty on Race days and all stated that they will work on the route (Road down the pass) to make it user frieldly possible. I will unfortunately miss this race. Good luck to everyone doing the race and remember to pack your climbing legs! Have fun !

thanks for the info prozac.have been on the mtb consistently the last 6 weeks with the longest ride being about 3-4 hours with plenty of climbing.living in the northern subs of cape town so majik forrest/hillcrest/contermans/meerendal loop takes a bit of climbing.how far is stormsriver village from plettenbergbay.we will be staying at plet and will have to drive to and from the race daily.

thanks for the info prozac.have been on the mtb consistently the last 6 weeks with the longest ride being about 3-4 hours with plenty of climbing.living in the northern subs of cape town so majik forrest/hillcrest/contermans/meerendal loop takes a bit of climbing.how far is stormsriver village from plettenbergbay.we will be staying at plet and will have to drive to and from the race daily.

Plett to Storms Village is = 61 km to be exact

The toll is heavy at R35 a shot

Im a average Mtb-er . . .(more a roady) and if you can do off rd 75km in 3,5 - 4hr when training it will be possible to do 3 hr in racing mode as I said there are some fast secondary roads which will up your average speed.

• 4 weeks later...

For those that did the Stormsriver traverse, i'm sure you are gelad you were there. mud, ave temp of 5degrees on day 1, more mud, wind and rain, and yes, it was still better than a good day in the office!!! Great race and well organised.

• 11 months later...

Sitting in the race village for the 2012 edition of the race. The vibe is awesome and it looks like the weather will play along too. Bit of rain predicted for day 3. Watch this space for my ride reports in the coming days.