Chinese Carbon

BLACKvoodoo

Can anyone please tell me why we shy away from "Chinese" frames?

We can't all be so ignorant to think that any bikes are made in any other country

except china with their unbeatable labour rate.We all know that Fender strats are made in china now.

Many people are going to say "the quality is not good" How do you keep getting contracts from 'Brands' if your quality does not meet their original standards??

I am currently buying frames from a company in China and I've become friendly (not in that

way guys) with the person who answered my inquiry email to them. I've asked her who else their

company make frames for and they include, among other, Specialized, KHS and JB (american I think).

Now I don't understand, they use the latest technology, materials and testing specs, but when they don't

have contract to fulfill instead of laying off 100 people they make their own moulds and make frames because that's what they do!

In fact I searched the internet and found the KHS that uses the same frame as I'm buying to sell in SA

but as soon as someone hears 'china' then we all run a mile.

Do yourself a favour, go to your bike, If any stickers are stuck over the spray job with no laquer, then, yes!

it was probably made in China or Taiwan.

So if anybodys got an answer please reply.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most bikes made from Tawian and China because of cheaper labour....

Lots of well known names of bikes have factories in Tawain and China...

We can't all be so ignorant to think that any bikes are made in any other country

except china with their unbeatable labour rate.We all know that Fender strats are made in china now.

Many people are going to say "the quality is not good" How do you keep getting contracts from 'Brands' if your quality does not meet their original standards??

I am currently buying frames from a company in China and I've become friendly (not in that

way guys) with the person who answered my inquiry email to them. I've asked her who else their

company make frames for and they include, among other, Specialized, KHS and JB (american I think).

Now I don't understand, they use the latest technology, materials and testing specs, but when they don't

have contract to fulfill instead of laying off 100 people they make their own moulds and make frames because that's what they do!

In fact I searched the internet and found the KHS that uses the same frame as I'm buying to sell in SA

Do yourself a favour, go to your bike, If any stickers are stuck over the spray job with no laquer, then, yes!

Where have you been for the last few years?

Just about all bikes are made in China or Taiwan,except a few top end European bikes and hand built US bikes like Parlee.

Have a look at this http://allanti.com/articles/where-was-my-bike-made-pg328.htm

Edited by gummibear

A human condition called perceived quality based on price.

People tend to think the more they pay for something the better the quality.

Combine that with the (rightly so) crapola quality of early (1980's) chinese imports and you get the "if it's cheap and chinese it's ***" result.

Dude.

So long as you ride same, and are willing to warranty them (think CPA) - bring 'em on I say.

If someone wants to pay 15k more for a sticker, then good for them.

Me, I don't wear Levis. I wear MR P jeanpants. :thumbup:

Edited by The Drongo

It may not be the case here, but just because two items are made in the same factory (and even sometimes with the same materials and on the same line) doesn't mean that they will be the same quality. The factory could have very good processes and quality control, but the degree to which those processes are applied would depend on the actual frame design and customer specification.

In the case of the same factory and molds, branded frames may be specified with a higher grade of carbon and resin while the OEM versions use lower, cheaper grades. They may look the same, but the cheaper frame may end up heavier etc.

Even if they're using the same material grades and molds, they may still not have the same quality level. The branded frames may specify a tighter tolerance on dimensions, layup techniques etc. and may require more QC checks along the way. This allows the branded frame to use less material etc. to accomplish its task, but may result in more rejects (raising cost). It also requires more (thus costly) design work for the frame. The OEM frame with slacker tolerances etc. could end up using more material to compensate, making it heavier but requiring less detailed design work and fewer rejects.

Finally, if it is a reputable company I believe that, even though the frames may look the same, they probably do not use the same materials grade, fibre orientations etc. If they were producing exact generic copies, I suspect the big brands would have moved their business elsewhere.

Dude.

So long as you ride same, and are willing to warranty them (think CPA) - bring 'em on I say.

If someone wants to pay 15k more for a sticker, then good for them.

Me, I don't wear Levis. I wear MR P jeanpants. :thumbup:

I'm with you brother, i just want to sell these frames so that i can build my 29er

...and they are crap. They sound bad, the build quality is poor, the wood isn't as good either. The best Fenders are American made. Now if you had to compare an American made Fender to a Japanese from the vintage era, the Japanese wins hands down...but thats a different story.

Good luck convincing yourself btw. I wonder why Patrick Morewood left his company behind. Something to do with cheap cut corners in China? Mass produced is never a good thing.

I'm with you brother, i just want to sell these frames so that i can build my 29er

Where are you selling?and at what prices?

You also need to be careful with open mould frames. Just because your frame shares a mould with a famous brand it doesn't mean it was made with the same care and control as that frame. I agree though, if you do your homework and find out who the reputable guys are you can get a really good deal at a fraction of the cost.

Thank goodness the hand made in Petermaritzberg sticker on my bike is real.

But I agree with you RE accepting the bike from China, it is just the support afterwards that is crucial and it might well come short here!

H

"JB is not American. He is as local as they come...."

:clap:

I think that one went over most peoples heads 'like a frisbee over a fat Labrador'.

"JB is not American. He is as local as they come...."

:clap:

I think that one went over most peoples heads 'like a frisbee over a fat Labrador'.

Good one...

Yeah I dont care where my frame is/was made, I have insurance, if it brake I get a new one.

Edited by koukie

Good one...

Yeah I dont care where my frame is/was made, I have insurance, if it brake I get a new one.

and if it breaks when you're going 90km/h?

I can order new no name carbon 29er frame from China for +-R3500 and when it lands here and it will cost me +-R4500.

You can see all locals selling the frames for around R14000 and up - Crazy!! They have similiar geometry...

You can have 3 new no name frame vs 1 new local frame??? Up to us...