MTB races in KZN on 28 Aug or 3 Sept???

Squier

Going down to Illovo/Winkelspruit from 28 Aug to 3 Sept (arriving 27th, leaving on the 4th) but it seems as if my timing sucks. I've searched high and low but can't find any races on these dates.

Do you KZN'ians have a special place where your races are listed or is there just nothing happening?

if you dont find an event, go ride virgina trails, really fun and its not too far from illovo side. i about 6 kms from winkle/illovo

Looks like the focus of this event has changed a bit this year. Always used to be a cracker ride with lots of fast sections, climbs and techie single track with a knarly rocky section to the finish to punish your pins. Just reading race info on the website, seems to be diff this year, with no timing and orientated towards family cruising . I think a good thing, can take the lighties for a spin.

Thanks everyone! Am I right in saying that Howick is about an hour from Winkle?

It's a bit of a drive but seeing as I've never done a KZN'ese race I'll definitely consider it!

Do you think it's worth my while to drive down to Howick for this one? I'll be doing the 60km... and I'm slow so it'll probably keep me busy for the good part of 4 hours.

It's a bit of a drive but seeing as I've never done a KZN'ese race I'll definitely consider it!

Do you think it's worth my while to drive down to Howick for this one? I'll be doing the 60km... and I'm slow so it'll probably keep me busy for the good part of 4 hours.

You could do it in an hour but watch out for the little letter in the post requesting you to fork out some cash for speeding ;) Rather work in hour and a half to be safe. Could also come through the back road instead of the freeway, but beware of cows/goats/taxis/potholes and trucks.

GeeCee knows the road though..he can give you a better time estimate :)

Check their website. Looks like the max distance this year is 35. Will take you longer to drive there than to do the ride.

Check their website. Looks like the max distance this year is 35. Will take you longer to drive there than to do the ride.

Thanks, will do. So this is my only option then?

• 2 weeks later...