Does anybody else NOT like the brake pads in Dura Ace 7900?

Bat-ass

I have been riding Dura Ace 7900 for the last 18 months and have never found the brake pads to be that great. They squeel alot (on a few different wheels) they shudder too?? My previous groupset was Dura Ace 7800 and that braking was alway smooth as butter and never squeeled!!!

Anybody else found this? i'm tempted to find some 7800 pads if i can? or swiss stop?

I can't comment on the Dura-ace pads as I have never used them, but swiss stop pads are incredible! I have them on my bike and they are incredible

I can't comment on the Dura-ace pads as I have never used them, but swiss stop pads are incredible! I have them on my bike and they are incredible

Where can you get them? and which ones for alli rims?

Ah, so its not just me!

I give people in my group the sh!ts when I come up behind them on a descent and my brakes start squeeling.

I thought it was my wheels that were dirty, or the pads were glazed or not toed in properly.

They go through patches though. ie.. they dont do it all the time.

Ah, so its not just me!

I give people in my group the sh!ts when I come up behind them on a descent and my brakes start squeeling.

I thought it was my wheels that were dirty, or the pads were glazed or not toed in properly.

They go through patches though. ie.. they dont do it all the time.

Its not your wheels. iv tried the pads toed in, level, its all the same.... they shudder on mavic rims and squeel on Eastons!!

The stock Shimano brake pads are crap. Period.

They squeal, moan, pick up alu from the rim and abrade the rim. I bet if you take your wheel out and look at the pads you'll see bits of aluminum in there. That's rim.

The best possible thing you can do for rim brakes on your road or mountain bikes is to fit Koolstop Salmon pads. Unfortunately they're not available locally. There is an agent, who picked up from the previous agent, but they're both totally oblivious about the quality and necessity of these pads.

Get them from www.harriscyclery.com.

All 3 my bikes are D/A equipped and the first thing I do is chuck the pads,they too hard,I don't find them noisy but they scour the alu braking suface badly and pick up the alu residue and wear the surface even faster!!

You stole the words right out of my mouth!

Once you go Swissstop ... you wont go back! I use the yellow ones, no need to change brake pads when swapping between training & racing wheels :clap:

I had the same problem and I've since changed to SwissStop Yellow for Carbon and Alu wheels!!

They squeal, moan, pick up alu from the rim and abrade the rim. I bet if you take your wheel out and look at the pads you'll see bits of aluminum in there. That's rim.

The best possible thing you can do for rim brakes on your road or mountain bikes is to fit Koolstop Salmon pads. Unfortunately they're not available locally. There is an agent, who picked up from the previous agent, but they're both totally oblivious about the quality and necessity of these pads.

Yeah, Koolstop are HUGE in the USA, if memory serves me well you get differant pads for wet and dry conditions as well, the "wet" one has a little "wiper" lip or something on it.

I have a set on my bike I fitted maybe two years ago, I think they wear a bit quicker than the Shimano ones as these are down to almost nothing - best I take another vacation in the USA I guess.! :D

+1, best brake pads I've ever used.