Problems with abnormal Heart Rate readings- Polar 720i

Reg Lizard

I have just about had enough now. A month and a half ago I experienced problems with my heart rate monitor (Polar S720i) in that the pick-up range was like 30cm instead of 1 meter. So I send the HR sensor and wearlink strap to Polar and the replace everything under guarantee. Now all of a sudden (since Saturday) abnormal high and low HR readings appear. After every ride I rinse the wearlink strap and sensor with water and dry it with a towel, but still experience this problem. What else can I do? Please help.Thanx

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the abnormal readings happen at slow or high speeds?If so I might know the answer

My 725 gave me some very high reading,followed by severe chest pain,followed by 3 days in hospital.Turned out it wasn't the watch. ;)

Hi,

I do not know what you have tried, but mine sometimes do the same.

What has halped to prevent this is tightening the strap as I found it happened when I went over rough terrain .

Also applying heartratemonitor lube assist.

Is the battery still ok as that also causes these issues.

If not one of these reasons then Get a garmin.

Hey Gummi you should get a ref limiter :lol:

About the speed I am not to sure, I think it happens irrespective of the speed- why are you asking. (maybe interverence with the speed sensor maybe ;) ) I was thinking maybe my cellphone is affecting the readings. :unsure:

About the speed I am not to sure, I think it happens irrespective of the speed- why are you asking. (maybe interverence with the speed sensor maybe ;) ) I was thinking maybe my cellphone is affecting the readings. :unsure:

Jokes aside,i also found that riding near power lines made my readings jump up and down.

Hi,

I do not know what you have tried, but mine sometimes do the same.

What has halped to prevent this is tightening the strap as I found it happened when I went over rough terrain .

Also applying heartratemonitor lube assist.

Is the battery still ok as that also causes these issues.

If not one of these reasons then Get a garmin.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all of these except for applying the lube. Where in the WCape can one get this lube.

Jokes aside,i also found that riding near power lines made my readings jump up and down.

Yes I experienced that in the past as well but now it picks up these high readings in place where it never happened before :unsure:

I just spoke to polar last week and they say do NOT use ecg gel

Just water - and the lifespan of the wearlink strap is only 18 months.

My HR reading are also scattergrams at the moment - I need a new strap.

Just a question. What transmitter belt did you get with it? I found this new wearlink belt (not the older T31 coded) being more sensitive. Also in winter my skin tends to be dry and that it is easily effected with when in direct contact with the wind. I believe you guys are having good weather but no rain at the moment.

My suggestion is that you properly wet the transmitter belt (don't dry it) put it on as tight as possible and maybe wear a cycling vest as well underneath your cycling shirt to protect it from the wind.

Give it a bash.

Why I ask is because I had,still have the same problem.What happens is when I ride the flapping of my cycling shirt against the heart rate monitor increases my heart rate reading.So the faster I ride the more my shirt flaps and the higher my heart rate reading.Started wearing thermal vests that puts a barrier between my monitor and the flapping shirt. :lol:

Doesn't bother me now because I love the vests for both cool and hot weather!

I've found that a cycling jersey flapping about in the wind does bad things to my HR readings. Not a problem in winter due to the number of layers, but in summer I need to wet my jersey over the sensor too.

Edit: I see Wil6 beat my to it

Edited by Edman

I have started to wonder about the Polar product and it would appear everybody is having problems with their products. :unsure:

The wearlink strap was replaced with the sensor about 1 and a half months ago.

When last did you replace the battery in the POLAR S720i watch, mine did the same and I replaced the Polar watch's battery when they were here for the Two Oceans. Problem solved.