Tour de Soweto 2011

Lou Zealand

After the cancellation of the 2010 race, does anyone know whether this race is going to happen. Their website (www.tourdesoweto.co.za) does not seem to have been updated for sometime...

The provisional date for the race is October 2.

• 4 weeks later...

Tour de Soweto? Is this like a high stakes adventure race where you see if you get to the other end alive or at least with your bike?

Tour de Soweto? Is this like a high stakes adventure race where you see if you get to the other end alive or at least with your bike?

When I did it a few years ago it was actually one of the best supported races I have ever done, spectators lining the streets 2-3 deep and very few traffic issues. I was impressed.

Unfortunately it was never well supported by cyclists.

It was a hectic race from a traffic and taxi point of view but it was well supported. If you did have a problem with your bike on the road, you got more help than you would at any other race.

It was different but well worth riding.

yeap its cancelled...i sent an enquiry email lastnight and got feedback and reason for cancellation is "loss of sponsorship"....

When I did it a few years ago it was actually one of the best supported races I have ever done, spectators lining the streets 2-3 deep and very few traffic issues. I was impressed.

Unfortunately it was never well supported by cyclists.

Spectators lining the streets or the SAPD?