29er wheelsets

markgc

Hi all..some advice please

Looking to get a new wheelset for my 29er..

Im in JHB, can anyone recommend a good builder, the likes of cajees and Solomons have good deals, but im suspect of their building quality and expertise.

I have a budget of 5k.. what and where would you recommend?

Hi all..some advice please

Looking to get a new wheelset for my 29er..

Im in JHB, can anyone recommend a good builder, the likes of cajees and Solomons have good deals, but im suspect of their building quality and expertise.

I have a budget of 5k.. what and where would you recommend?

I have a set that I had build up but got two sets and selling the one.

29er ZTR flow rims, Agogo red hubs sealed bearings. S/S Spokes. With stans valves and conversion. google the hubs and you will see they are lighter than the hope hubs. Rims are also very strong. 2.1kg wheels. I did 35kilos on them, one ride. R4000 excl postage but we could work something out maybe.

Good bang for buck are the American Classics - 1650g a set and under R5K. Keep them inflated close to 2 bar though - the rims are a bit tender...

Shimano 29ers are great because they're trule tubeless but are arounf 1800g.

CRC have the Crank Bros on special for under R5K. Around 1800g but bomb proof and proper tubeless.

I got American Classics = replaced my Brontagers which came with my Trek HiFi.

Let me tell you - those hubs roll a LOT faster I'm seriously happy and as I'm not a skinny oak I know they are tough

Where do I find him?

You don't find him, he finds you.... Some say, he straightens bent rims with his bare hands, but all we know is that he is known as JB!

Regarding wheels, why not Loaded rims with Hope Pro 2 hubs? Decent weight, bullet proof and not bad looking, as you can choose from a rice range of colours.

Good bang for buck are the American Classics - 1650g a set and under R5K. Keep them inflated close to 2 bar though - the rims are a bit tender...

Shimano 29ers are great because they're trule tubeless but are arounf 1800g.

CRC have the Crank Bros on special for under R5K. Around 1800g but bomb proof and proper tubeless.

thanks.. havent heard much about crank bros..will do some investigating, anyone out there have some experience first hand?.. im a lightweight at 77kg

Parx and Monark- the AC's are light, fast and cheap but....not that tough - the hubs seem to be bullet proof but the rims are a tad soft. I've had to bend mine straight a few times and a friend flattened his rim against the rim bed.

I'm 80kg and wouldn't ride below 2bar to protect the rim.

Edit: The rim is fine but the rim hooks are weak and tend to fold onto the rim bed when smashed against rocks and such.

Edited by Eldron

CRC-ZTR 29er Crest rims, Hope Evo hubs, brass nipples, buy the spokes here or wheelbuilder can get them to match them to the right length you will need. R3450.

ZTR Crest 29er rims, Agogo or Hope Pro2 hubs, DT Swis Revolution 2.0 by 1.5mm spokes. Damn I want a set like this.