Winning the Time Trial doesn't take much

cyclenut

Firstly - credit for this goes to Chris Brewer of RadioShack:

But let's take a look at the numbers and see just how close it was.

Without question Evans was a man on a mission, besting Andy Schleck by 2'30" over the 42.5km / 26.4mi course.

Martin's winning time was 55'33" with Evans just 7 seconds slower. That equates to 45.9kmh / 28.5mph for the two fastest men on the day.

But think about this: that means Evans took 1'18" to cover each km, Schleck 1'21.5"- a scant 3.5 seconds.

To put it another way, Evans rode 12.8 meters per second, his rival 12.3, and that's the difference over about an hour that will - barring of course unforeseen disaster - make the difference between wearing the yellow jersey and second place in Paris.

What are you smoking?

2min30seconds is not close!

That is a moerse gap.

With the 3min interval at the start, you would have waited 5min30 for Andy to pich up after Evans finished.

n Bloukol op die virginvlies, is close, dit was nie naby nie

Firstly - credit for this goes to Chris Brewer of RadioShack:

But let's take a look at the numbers and see just how close it was.

Without question Evans was a man on a mission, besting Andy Schleck by 2'30" over the 42.5km / 26.4mi course.

Martin's winning time was 55'33" with Evans just 7 seconds slower. That equates to 45.9kmh / 28.5mph for the two fastest men on the day.

But think about this: that means Evans took 1'18" to cover each km, Schleck 1'21.5"- a scant 3.5 seconds.

To put it another way, Evans rode 12.8 meters per second, his rival 12.3, and that's the difference over about an hour that will - barring of course unforeseen disaster - make the difference between wearing the yellow jersey and second place in Paris.

I dont get yout point, Andy got pak, somma a moersie pak.

I am glad he lost, i am not a fan of skeletons riding bikes.

What are you smoking?

2min30seconds is not close!

That is a moerse gap.

With the 3min interval at the start, you would have waited 5min30 for Andy to pich up after Evans finished.

n Bloukol op die virginvlies, is close, dit was nie naby nie

hahahaha!!

that wasn't even close. using Cyclenut's calculations Evans beat Schleck by 1.84km in distance..man that is a hiding of note. If Evans beat him on a mountain/normal stage by 2.5mins would you still say it was close. So what exactly are you getting at?

Edited by ThaStig

Cyclenut, I get you and I agree. IMO the difference between the two were the manner in which they handled the corners, which is a big part of TT'ing. The way that Cadel attacks and accelerates out of the corners, perfectly hitting the apex, was far superior to the way that Andy just dragged his long clumsy body through each corner.

It was in the mountains Evans won the yellow jersey his riding there esp when he took 2 mins back out of that gap by himself and always being prepared to do the work that set his victory up.

The fact he destroyed them in the TT was the icing on the cake

He really wanted it this year was in good condition and rode a great Tour :thumbup:

I see your point, cyclenut, with the subtleties and fine margins that can separate a winner from a loser.

Or 1st from 30th positions a TT stage.

With the preciseness of the performance science in TT, it is clear that Evans and his team was superb and he had the stronger legs as well.

No doubt, Andy lost a lot of wattage in power with those attacks in the mountains a few days ago.

Above all Andy must improve the science of his TT performance.

Lots of work to do.

Spend some time with Cancellara, young Andy.

:thumbup:

I also agree with your calculations to a degree. It shows that it does not take much for a cyclist's of a more or less simular cycling ability (i know TT is basically a dicipline on its own) to get a large time gap on a longer TT course. I mean 3sec per km is not much if you think of it but it does build up over time to give a good gap (and yes 2 odd min is a hiding in the end i guess) in the end

I see your point, cyclenut, with the subtleties and fine margins that can separate a winner from a loser.

Or 1st from 30th positions a TT stage.

With the preciseness of the performance science in TT, it is clear that Evans and his team was superb and he had the stronger legs as well.

No doubt, Andy lost a lot of wattage in power with those attacks in the mountains a few days ago.

Lots of work to do.

And find his motor manufacturer :lol: I think the only way Andy or any other pure climber will win the tour is when they have a Tour route/schedule like when "the pirate" won.. no, not jack sparrow...Marco Pantani

Lots of work to do.

Andy spent a lot of time with Fabian helping him,he also spend quite a bit of time in a wind tunnel to set the bike up and his riding possition.

None of that will help when you do everything wrong in your race.

Andy used his small 67kg frame like a boat sail against him.He kept on sitting up and opened his shouldrs up.

Going down the fastest part of the TT he was off his TT bars and he kept braking in the corners.He also took the wrong lines in a few corners.

His hands were open on the TT bars and he was scooping air.

When seconds count those are big mistakes.

Untill he learns to TT he won't win......and i am sad to say that as he is a very good rider.

To be a great tour rider means that you cant be weak in any of the disciplines - it helps if you excell as a climber on the TDF but you must be able to TT, descend aswell as pack a bit of a punch if it comes down to the last 100m and a second or 2.

Sad Andy couldnt finish it off this time but Cadel certainly deserved it this time. :clap:

But Andy is young and has another 10 TDFs ahead of him. :thumbup:

Of course Andy may already have won his first TDF - he just needs to wait until August to find out :D ;)

Of course Andy may already have won his first TDF - he just needs to wait until August to find out :D ;)

. . . .of which year?