Why dont pro cyclists wear compression socks?

gummibear

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They only look cool to tri folk, and matches an Mdot tattoo...For the rest it looks k@k.

I think I saw a couple of guys wearing compression gear on the podium though?

From what i have been told they are banned during racing? - Had hassles racing in a pair before, but no-one could tell me why!

UCI rules forbid them. When Cippo tried to wear a full length body suit, the UCI insisted that he cut them off at 4 finers above the knee, and the socks were only allowed to go up 4 fingers above the shoe, ie just short of the calf muscle. Also answering why Euro pros wear their socks the way they do.

3 weeks of the Tour and not one Pro wearing them?So do they onnly help for running then?

Same reason you don't see the world's top runners (Kenyans & Ethiopeans) wearing them during big city marathons. They have no benefit during races, just adds weight.

They also look very silly!!!!

Guest agteros

Compression socks help to prevent blood pooling in your lower legs, as well as with varicose veins

What were the black tights that Andy Schleck was wearing the other day on the podium if not compression tights??? I got a pair of full leg compression tights before the Panorama and wore them at the end of each day at the Sani. Do they work- don't know. Are they cool- don't care ( but I will not be seen in those ridiculous compression socks).

What were the black tights that Andy Schleck was wearing the other day on the podium if not compression tights?

They were. I'd say all of the riders wear them for recovery after the ride. They're different to compression socks, though, which seem to be a fad among triathletes during a race.

Edited by Edman

One of the World Cup mtb teams fines their riders for being seen in compression gear, they're fined becasue they look stupid and by extension make the rest of their team look dumb, good rule I say.

It also fcuks up the awesome laser engraved tan lines they spend all summer working on. Plus no-one can ogle your smashing calves properly. and you look like tri idiot.