The Tour versus The Giro

Bianchisti

So watching the Champs-Élysées last night I got the nod from the missus to wake up in Paris this time next year. Obviously the city and not the socialite. Something I’m sure we all want to do. But talking to someone on a ride recently he tells me his dad went to the Giro this year and reckons its far better to visit than the Tour as it is not so overwhelmed with people and you actually get to see much more. You get closer to the riders and on the rest day they actually rode with some pro’s. The tour probably has lots more to offer in terms of atmosphere and visiting the two host countries there isn’t much to choose between the two if you were going there for the architecture, culture and heritage as both has more than enough on offer.

So to the guys who’s been to either/both, what was your experiences like and which do you recommend? Oh wonderfully informed hubber, please do tell.

And then off course who would you like to wake up in? Paris or Nicole? :P

Edited by TMobile

I was in london when the tour kicked off there a few years back. It was ridiculous, you couldnt move, restaurants were running lines 50 deep, the underground was overflowing, you had to walk forever to get within 5 deep of the barrier unless you camped there for the previous four nights.......I just gave up and watched it in my hotel on TV.

There is a certain vibe I guess, for about an hour, after that to actually get anything accomplished is just an aggravation.

I personally prefer the Giro although I havent watched it live, I think thats where I would go if I decided to spend some time as a spectator.

To me the Giro is a far harder and more exciting race than the Tour. The route this year alone confirmed that but the Tour is HUGE. If I had the chance I would do the Giro.

So watching the Champs-Élysées last night I got the nod from the missus to wake up in Paris this time next year. Obviously the city and not the socialite. Something I’m sure we all want to do. But talking to someone on a ride recently he tells me his dad went to the Giro this year and reckons its far better to visit than the Tour as it is not so overwhelmed with people and you actually get to see much more. You get closer to the riders and on the rest day they actually rode with some pro’s. The tour probably has lots more to offer in terms of atmosphere and visiting the two host countries there isn’t much to choose between the two if you were going there for the architecture, culture and heritage as both has more than enough on offer.

So to the guys who’s been to either/both, what was your experiences like and which do you recommend? Oh wonderfully informed hubber, please do tell.

And then off course who would you like to wake up in? Paris or Nicole? :P

Meh, I can't stand France. I rather take a night with the Hilton sisters, thanks.

The TDF is just too big for its own good......even the teams complained this year of traffic jams getting to and from the start/ finish lines. Besides being the biggest cycling event on the calender, its probably the second biggest sporting event bar the soccer WC. Unless you get the VIP treatment at the tour, I would choose the Giro anytime. Was fortunate enough to be at the Giro a few years back and I must say it was fanatstic. You just get to see and do more than you would at the tour.

The Tour is the real deal, the giro is just a warm up, its like the Commenwealth Games vs the Olympics. Remember that some of the best cyclists and best teams will save themselves for the Tour and not ride the Giro. Sure the accomodation and getting around is a bit of a pain, but I was in Paris for the start of the centenial and accomodation and watching wasnt a problem at all. I would go to the tour, otherwise you will be left with the feeling that you could have had the hot sister but decided to go with the ugly one because she was easier.