MyCity Buses and Bicycles - Beware

Hairy

Hi all

After a long and frustrating morning with the MyCity bus plonkers I would like to warn anyone who would be interested in taking your bicycle on the bus before 9am that they have changed their policy and not longer allow bicycles on the buses during "peak hours".

My absolute frustration comes from the extremely poor notification (Non-Existent on the station or the bus I had to take later to work) that they will be changing policy and also a zero transition period so that one is not left standing there and being able to get to work.

So thank you MyCity bus services for just being a plain old bunch of plonkers.

Hairy

absolute BS I say - drop the minister of sport / transport an email re the change in policy. If no luck there - try the papers. They will do almost anything to nail politicians :lol:

It wasn't just some security guard on a power trip? Give a man a walkie-talkie and he seems to think he's omnipotent.

It was the station controller that stopped me.

Hey Stevie Boy ... riding into town is still a priority, but with the new born allowing me about an hours worth of sleep last night and a howling south easter, I thought I would take the easy route out :)

I know that they say that if the bus is full u not supposed to take a bicycle on. I think they should put up a rack on the bus to lock the cycles in like the arms that hold bikes on the bike carriers. They could easily put it in the middle section so u can lock the bike there for the trip.

But sucks that nothing is displayed anywhere.

:thumbdown:

just looked on their website and seems the "new" rule is there. the rules have just been updated. But u would think that they would post the info on the stations where ppl will see it?? :blink:

Bicycles are permitted on MyCiTi buses and are carried free of charge. Customers

transporting bicycles must keep them in the designated area provided for bicycles which is

located next to the wheelchair area. Customers transporting bicycles may only board if space

is available in this area. If no space is available for the bicycle, the customer must wait for

the next bus with available space. Bicycles may not be placed in a manner that blocks aisles,

doors or emergency exits, or which impede movement in aisles or through doors and exits.

Regarding bicycles, as in all other cases, Customers must comply with instructions issued by

a MyCiTi staff member. From the rule book

Edited by leet22

What about a fold-up bicycle?

Don't have one? hacksaw and a couple of hinges!

:lol:

Why don't you just ride your bike?

... riding into town is still a priority, but with the new born allowing me about an hours worth of sleep and a howling south easter, I thought I would take the easy route out :)

A couple of us did a test ride into town at 8am yesterday from Tableview along the cyclepath and then caught the MyCiti bus back with no hassles. Admittedly this was then at 9am, so peak hour was long gone, but we did need to get back to Tableview in a rush, so riding back wasn't an option. They allowed us to keep the bikes with us in the aisle even though the bus was empty.

What about a fold-up bicycle?

Don't have one? hacksaw and a couple of hinges!

:lol:

see you later with my hacksaw and a couple of hinges for that specialzed of yours :)

That way it will fit in ur car as well :) and take up less storage space :lol: