2012 World Cup Track additions/ideas

nigelhicks

Hey okes and boks ... I posted the following on both Vital and Dirt in the hope of getting some positive feedback and some good ideas as to what spectators etc want out of the track for 2012.

Seeing as a lot of you Gravity guys on here have been hard at work in Tokai i thought id ask you as well.

See below and give me your input!

Theres one 125m flat at the end of the pedal section that is causing me UNTOLD misery as its almost dead flat and straight and crappy ... its just dead ground that links the top of the course to the bombhole at the bottom ... i was thinking maybe add some jumps? but I dont know!

Will try find a pic of it and show you!

----------------------------

Hey Guys and girls

Seeing as i will be starting with some track upgrades soon in preperation for the 2012 opening round, I thought I'd throw this out there and get some ideas from you the spectator (and WC racer maybe) as to what changes you'd like to see on the course for 2012.

We obviously want to make the course even more fun than 2011 and i was thinking of adding in some hand-built rock gardens in the steep stuff up top to give the riders more to think about up there. Unfortunately the trees that are planted in the plantation the track goes through dont give us nice rooty sections, so i am toying with the idea of building some rock gardens similar to some of the man-made ones at the top of Fort Bill.

The pedal and finish may change for 2013 Worlds but seem unlikely for 2012 due to the 4x track position and the logistics of finish areas etc. So i am going to base the whole pedal with granite to make it roll fast like a bmx track and add in some more jumps and maybe some berms.

BUT I am open to ideas. - so lets hear what you guys think/would-do-if-you-were-in-my-position.

Looking forward to hearing your constructive comments.

Cheers

Nige (the Course Builder for the PMB World Cup DH)

• 1 month later...

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7116069/p4pb7116069.jpg

New section im considering for the world cup.

It will eliminate Pebble Beach and brendogs rock that he hucked to flat ... but will give sustained gradient which will be better than just dropping off a cliff and then having a big flat bit.

What do you guys think? I will post pics on Mon! Walked the new line on Wed and its gonna be cool!!

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7116208/p4pb7116208.jpg

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7116214/p4pb7116214.jpg

These are from the old 2010 Nationals track - the new section will be close to this track

I think the new section makes sense as it is a more sustained gradient (as you stated). Even though it eliminates some gnarly stuff, at least the momentum will be kept up - I am sure you could add one or two rock gardens to snarl it up a bit.

We riding Cascades this Sunday, if you are there maybe you could show me the proposed section - if we have time.

Well, let me start by saying how lucky you are to be able to point out where Mick Hannah crashed. Dude..

Don't know what is up with the Geo images of late.. Looks like they were photographed at night. I have adjusted the levels for better vis..

post-13110-0-80671900-1316162370.jpg

NIGE! Some killer scope you got there. It's a bit hard to say what will/won't work without actually seeing the landscape itself, but I'm sure the sustained slope will be far better for the track. It'll also go towards getting rid of the aura that PMB has of being "that pedally track" and will ramp up the need for technical ability over pedalling power.

Capricorn! Where are you for this!?

old top

The problem here is Cloud 9 is brilliant as is pebble beach ... BUT the sections force you to the left of the main spur of the hill and to get back around there is a flat singletrack pedal for 250m to join the steep stuff again ... its flat from Driftage all the way to the link with the new section!

post-16861-0-61292000-1316167765.jpg

Edited by nigelhicks

Some feedback, this year I walked down the the complete track, please: The long flat section, add a bloody pub there somewhere, I only carried 3 beers with me and by the time I got there I was running the serious risk of sobering up.

Besides that, as I got to the 2nd jump, some poor pommie bailed his moer off right in front of me, he fell so hard he cracked his helmet in half, was one of the most hectic things I've seen, a pub there would of helped to calm my nerves after that, so now there are two reasons for a halfway-pub-house.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/28854_421239529879_571204879_5374218_7331860_n.jpg

NEW TOP

this section holds gradient better - but will need some work adding in some rock sections as there are not any there ... but thats easy to do if i have the budget i'm angling for!

Also the last jump that links back to the old track is INSANE its huge .. BUT also the track is then right next to the access road so is easily accessable for spectators etc.!

Edited by nigelhicks

two reasons for a halfway-pub-house.

HAHAHAHHA classic ... yeah definately will put this to the committee as a major concern!!! we need to have one there and one on the XC at the amphitheatre - IT SHALL BE DONE!

• 2 weeks later...