LRP in my unleaded - what's the outcome?

LeTurbo

Friday I chucked in R150, and about 1km from the garage, I felt an uneveness in the idling. From there, it just got worse, especially at low revs. I managed to get it back to the office (otherwise it would've been stripped in Woodstock) but it's really not going very far very fast.

I thought maybe he'd put diesel in, but it doesn't smell like it.

If it's not the LRP, then it's probably the coils (X2 = R3000) though I replaced them both just over a year ago.

The car's fuel injected. Would LRP choke 'em up?

Any comments/advice?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could maybe have an effect on the catalytic? I read somewhere that if you can try to mix half LRP and half unleaded if you had to do it in an emergency.

Shouldn't have any effect on the coilpack I would have thought?

Thanks Mojoman. At the moment it has about 5 litres unleaded to 15 litres LRP. Maybe I need to go fill up with unleaded again. Mix it up a bit.

I recall reading that some modern cars have a sensor (for NOx, SOx, unburnt fuel, I think) somewhere in the exhaust system thats then linked to the fuel management system. Could be that the LRP gases are confusing the sensor that's expecting ULP petrol. It's then screwing around with the engine management trying to compensate.

i was told that using lrp only messed up your catalytic converter, but didn't really harm your engine but i'm certainly no expert. maybe just put more unleaded in and see if that helps?

Not that big of a mess.More smoke out of your exhaust.But if you poured unleaded into a leaded car your screwed!

What car you driving ? Would not make a diff. Maybe a dirty filter ?

1999 Volvo S40 T4. Huge bucks just to get a computer analysis. Very frustrating. I want a carburetor back!

Not that big of a mess.More smoke out of your exhaust.But if you poured unleaded into a leaded car your screwed!

You are positively WRONG!!!!!!

Unleaded in an old lead engine, is far less harmful than LRP in an unleaded engine.

LRP will block the catalytic converter.

Your engine managment light will come on, and your performance may go into limp mode.

I am in the Motor Industry, trust me on this one!

Daniel, i once filled up the boat with LRP and the prado with the same fuel, i forgot to tell him to change over. And that did not make any difference in anything

Leaded petrol in even small quantities will cause almost immediate failure of the cat. Often the petrol is used unknowingly when the spare can from the garage, normally reserved for the lawn mower, is innocently used, Even such a small quantity can be fatal.

Not sure if LRP would do as stated above because from the name I would think it has no lead

You are positively WRONG!!!!!!

Unleaded in an old lead engine, is far less harmful than LRP in an unleaded engine.

LRP will block the catalytic converter.

Your engine managment light will come on, and your performance may go into limp mode.

I am in the Motor Industry, trust me on this one!

Just had my cars catalytic convertor removed and a mini cat/cat fooler fiited, no more such problems for me

Eish! Not very uncouraging all round. Looks like it'll be the bike for the next few months then, finances being what they are.

Thanks guys.

LRP in an unleaded only car is fine, it wont cause engine damage. It probably wont even affect the catalytic converter.

The first for women insurance people drive around in those pink bmw's for roadside assistance. They only carry LRP for breakdowns.

I'll be right back with a technical answer. Just gonna phone my motorsport mechanic.

LRP in an unleaded only car is fine, it wont cause engine damage. It probably wont even affect the catalytic converter.

The first for women insurance people drive around in those pink bmw's for roadside assistance. They only carry LRP for breakdowns.

I'll be right back with a technical answer. Just gonna phone my motorsport mechanic.

I don't know why they would carry LRP petrol. You can safetly run a leaded car on unleaded fuel for over 10000km because of the lead deposits that have formed on the valve seats

My guy says that you will ruin the catalytic converter, and will have to replace it, he also says unleaded in a car that takes lrp will cause immediate engine damage, as it will destroy the valve seals.

I trust him, as he also builds engines for some of south africa's top racing drivers.