Who performed beyond your expectations and who failed dismally...

GrumpyOldGuy

..at this years tour.?

For me Tommy must stand out as one of the best animators of the race, to me his personal battles was by far the best part of the whole event.

The team again has to be Europecar, a small team almost disbanded this time last year and probably one of the smallest budgets, but chock full of talent and enthusiasm.

I would say FDJ was a close follow on, sure they didnt measure up to the big GC contenders, but they went out there with gusto.

The worst performing rider of all the possible GC hopefulls (who finished in the race) has to be Levi Leipheimer. Sure he fell, but so did a lot of others, I just think he was outclassed and thats all.

Actually I read just after Horner won the TOC he boasted he could climb with the best.....Hmm, pity he had to abandon, I would have been interested to see him climb the last two stages with Evans, Andy and 'Berto.

For me as a GC team Radioshack was a non starter as a team, sure they also had issues, but they were also most noticable by their absence in most cases.

I think SAXO will also go home very disappointed, 'Berto couldnt do it for them and they took nothing from the tour, their support was pathetic to say the least and Porte who was supposed to help 'Berto in the mountains finished with Cav in the bus most times. They will definately need to rethink their strategy.

....I also wonder if 'Berto will stay, I think he likes Spanish teams and I think he would move to Euskatel in a heartbeat if they could find the budget.

Whats your impressions.?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on Tommy.

Cadel also performed better than I anticipated.

Sammy Sanchez was also awesome to watch.

I gained some unexpected admiration for Contador when he made that break.

Hoogerland is my winner :clap:

I supported Andy but after seeing the fighting spirit of Voeckler I wanted him to win. I think Pierre Rolland should also get a mention as he shown he can climb very well. Anyway that is my thoughts.

+1 on Tommy.

Cadel also performed better than I anticipated.

Sammy Sanchez was also awesome to watch.

I gained some unexpected admiration for Contador when he made that break.

Hoogerland is my winner :clap:

Sammy is a class act, I think he is mostly very underestimated.

Hoogerland....indeed. :thumbup:

I agree on all you said. If i was a team owner i would get Roland and Roy on board. They are both young and very talented

No ways will Contador leave Riis. Remember when they (Lance included) told Jan to ride for Riis for free? Contador is too smart to go to a Spanish team - unless Riss buys a Spanish team.

Ivan Basso was a big disapointment for me - he never caught up with his training schedule after his pre-season crash, I was really hoping for more from him. He did improve as the tour progressed but was never a contender.

I vote the TDF organisers as the weakest link. They designed a piss poor parcours, designed to let a french rider, and failing that, a shlek sister win. They failed us, the viewers.

Positive Evans for his determination and excellent TT, Voeckler for his incredible spirit, "Hard old man" Jens Voight who appears to carry a lot of respect amongst the riders, not only his own team but others as well.

Negative, Saxo bank team and their leader Contador where except for 1 stage i saw zippo from him.

Edited by scotty

Posistives: Jeremy Roy, (always attacking), Phillipe Gilbert, Vanendert, Jean-Christophe Peraud (ex-Olympic silver medallist in 10th), and Pierre Rolland!!

No ways will Contador leave Riis. Remember when they (Lance included) told Jan to ride for Riis for free? Contador is too smart to go to a Spanish team - unless Riss buys a Spanish team.

Hmm, maybe, I am not sure he is comfortable there though, he dos'nt seem to have the team's support, maybe a bit of friction?.....could be wrong.

I know for a fact he wont go to RadioShack. :)

Ivan Basso was a big disapointment for me - he never caught up with his training schedule after his pre-season crash, I was really hoping for more from him. He did improve as the tour progressed but was never a contender.

Yeah, I was hoping for a better show from him too. He did okay, but I think he lost half a season for very little in the TDF.

I think changing the rules just so that Cabinfish could win the green was poor. Sprinters have always won it in the past but suddenly it needed to be changed. Hell, even Robbie Hunter almost took it.

Positive Evans for his determination and excellent TT, Voeckler for his incredible spirit, "Hard old man" Jens Voight who appears to carry a lot of respect amongst the riders, not only his own team but others as well.

Negative, Saxo bank team and their leader Contador where except for 1 stage i saw zippo from him.

I am in two minds about Cadel, on the one side I think he is a really boring rider, its unlikely he would ever think of going on a 60km solo like Andy or 'Berto and he just appears so uninspiring.

On the other hand he had a plan and he stuck to it, thats admirable, he was consistant and although he was really only called to the task twice he responded and was up to the challenge. I think him winning was a fair reflection on his ability and planning...but Sheesh man, he really needs to liven up a bit. :D