Spinning class

Hi Guys,

I am busy training for the karoo2coast however the weather has been so bad for the last 6 weeks that i have been doing more spinning classes than anything else.

Am i actually benefiting from spinning or not? :drool:

cheers

Stomps

I think it is certainly better than nothing but because of the lack of structure it is difficult to make steady progress. If you're hoping to race and race well and it's too miserable to be outside I would suggest training on the spinning bikes but rather following your own structured program than actually doing a spinning class.

I agree with the above. Its better than nothing. But a structured program is better. Often the spinning instructors are trying to entertain people as well as train them. I find certain things they do highly annoying, like standing for 95% of the class.

I used to take my own watch and HR monitor and sit in the back of the class and do my own thing (intervals, etc.). I enjoy the music and the vibe, but I got a lot more benefit from this. As long as you don't distract people or irritate the instructor I think its fine. You can also pretend you are doing the same thing by standing when they do, but continue doing your own program.

I agree with the above. Its better than nothing. But a structured program is better. Often the spinning instructors are trying to entertain people as well as train them. I find certain things they do highly annoying, like standing for 95% of the class.

I used to take my own watch and HR monitor and sit in the back of the class and do my own thing (intervals, etc.). I enjoy the music and the vibe, but I got a lot more benefit from this. As long as you don't distract people or irritate the instructor I think its fine. You can also pretend you are doing the same thing by standing when they do, but continue doing your own program.

+1 fully agree. Also stay at the back and do more or less my own thing. Like the vibe. Aim to do a good but specific training session; sometimes to do a double session, to sweat a lot, and only consume water.

i just wish I could find a place in Joburg to do spinning classes without having to join a gym and pay exorbitant fees

i just wish I could find a place in Joburg to do spinning classes without having to join a gym and pay exorbitant fees

Buy yourself a turbo trainer! I just got one with a power meter and it is proving to be a great way to train. Having power is brilliant cause you know exactly how hard you are working. So much so I am considering a power meter for my road bike.

• 2 weeks later...

I do Graeme Cronje's spinning classes. They have everything you need. I ride on the road one a week only for endurance. If you are prepared to do those classes 5/6 times a week I can promise you that you will be able to compete with the pro's...

Currently he is selling his classes. Once you have them, you can just push up your recovery speed and they will still work. I do them at home myself.

Have a look at www.indoorcycle.org