Voortrekker Monument MTB Challenge 2011

_David_

I am planning on doing the 55km on the 6th of August. Anyone here done this event, is it worth doing?

well if its the same route from last year, it doesnt go through groenies, but uses track in the monument and the hills to the south of the monument.

but be prepared, one does 900-1000m climbing in the 55km, i remember cramping up hectic last year, but that was my own fault. but i would recommend doing it, has lots of single track and is nice and challenging. (similar to groenies)

I did the race last year and it was a brilliant route with great organization. I rated it in my top 5 for last year. You don’t go into Groenies. The routes takes you across the road to the side of the airforce base and then back over to the Fort at the back of the Voortrekker Monument. The route is very challenging as well. Pack you climbing shoes!

oh and the 55km is a double lap of the 25km route basically.

My son and I did the 10km, this year. Who would have thought that the MONUMENT was build on such hills.

Thanks: technical route but ridable? Loathe laps, but might consider a waiver this time.

I might be wrong but I cant remember doing laps. As I recall the 25 did not do the section up to the Fort at the back of the VTM. Maybe someone can correct me?

Thanks: technical route but ridable? Loathe laps, but might consider a waiver this time.

The 10km route wasn't that technical, there was a technical section that had loose stones, and from what I can remember is that the hills some was on the tar, there is early climb (not so steep, but lengthy) that gets the legs working, next to the fence on I think Old Joburg side.

I might be wrong but I cant remember doing laps. As I recall the 25 did not do the section up to the Fort at the back of the VTM. Maybe someone can correct me?

well the route i'm talking about is last years route, and i definitely remember doing the section outside the monument grounds twice.

although they could have changed the route since last year for the event hosted earlier this year?

well the route i'm talking about is last years route, and i definitely remember doing the section outside the monument grounds twice.

although they could have changed the route since last year for the event hosted earlier this year?

Yip, the 10km remains inside the Monument grounds.

Definitely the most technical race I've ever done! The 55 is a nice challenge! Will be back this year...