Touring Cycle

Lee007

Hey Guys,

My wife and I want to start the touring thing with our bikes. We both have mountain bikes, and I assume we can’t use them, as they are not build to do long distance touring and all the racks ect? I have read and searched the net to find info and bikes but can’t seem to find what I am looking for. Can anyone please give us advise?

Thanx

what bikes do you currently have ....?

is they are not dual suspension why cant you add panniers to the bikes and off you go ?

Hey Slowbee,

Tx for the reply. It is not as simple as you make it sound. The mtb's don't have the brackets to fit the nesessary heavy duty panniers. And I don't want to rape my mtb and break down in the middle of malawi!

I would prefer to go on a bike build for this purpose..

Hey Slowbee,

Tx for the reply. It is not as simple as you make it sound. The mtb's don't have the brackets to fit the nesessary heavy duty panniers. And I don't want to rape my mtb and break down in the middle of malawi!

I would prefer to go on a bike build for this purpose..

nothing wrong with making brackets - if it's a hardtail. my mountainbike toured around ireland and over scotland (on some gnarly singletrack) with a bracket to make the pannier fit.

It came loose on a downhill in the baviaanskloof but nothing a few cableties couldn't sort out.

it was a schwinn, and before that i toured with a giant sedona, also a rigid - that one went from amsterdam to paris and from joburg to capetown, both also pannier-tours.

both cheapish bikes; one cro-moly and the other aluminum. both strong enough to carry panniers, tent, cooking stuff & other needed for touring.

when i was in the himalayas last year (without panniers) there were 2 guys on touring bikes. they are beautiful. and fast on tar. but useless on the yak-tracks and the hiking trails :P

one day when i have tour-time again, i'll take a mountain bike again - i still have the rigid.

now, on the other hand, if you want an excuse to get a pretty new bike, malawi would be all the excuse you'll need :D

mtb hard tails are okay . OLD MAN Mountain racks & Arkel Panniers Bags are built to go on roughest terrain. There is a guy on the net who lives in Lady grey that imports them and is reasonable. Dont be fooled by the european way of touring since they use Low rider racks. Not condusive to Africa's Dirt roads. BTW Riaan Manser used a MTB Hartail. Message me & we can talk.

Rocky maintain hammer and on-one inbred both have panier bosses. However the old trek 1000 road bike also have panier bosses. THere also a number of hand made touring bike available from the USA and Europe (UK) which can be sourced at a reasonable prices.

Hey Guys,

My wife and I want to start the touring thing with our bikes. We both have mountain bikes, and I assume we can’t use them, as they are not build to do long distance touring and all the racks ect? I have read and searched the net to find info and bikes but can’t seem to find what I am looking for. Can anyone please give us advise?

Thanx

Have a look at http://www.koga.com/...=12&segment=103 and http://www.koga.com/...12&segment=102. You do not get better.

Try get hold of an older MTB frame, Chromoly steel with a rigid fork.

I have 2 friends who are going to be touring China beginning of next year, we are in the process of building some bikes up for them.

NB: Stay away from disk brakes, with V-brakes you can "make" whatever pads you find work, it might not work that well but will work.

Also make sure that the wheels are strong/reliable and easily servicable.

NB: Stay away from disk brakes, with V-brakes you can "make" whatever pads you find work, it might not work that well but will work.

Also make sure that the wheels are strong/reliable and easily servicable.

and if you have a frame that can take disks but you put vbrakes on, then you can use that diskbrake-hole to attach the pannier-rack on that side, and then you only need to make an adapter-thingie for the other side where there's no holes.

you probably won't ride too much of technical singletrack with panniers on, so you'll get by without disk brakes fine. my hardtail survived some technical singletrack on the great glen way with v-brakes (the panniers & the slick on the front wheel was a bigger issue - here's pictures of it :D https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/98899-time-to-say-good-bye/)

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys,

Thanx

Hi, are you still looking for bikes?

I'm selling 2 Koga Randonneurs complete with Ortlieb bags.

Let me know.

Brgds, Peter