Crank Arm Length

Hobot

Hi Hubbers

I found a site on the net, that gives crank arm lengths acording to your leg length.

After measuring i see that i need a 180mm crank arm.

After searching the various sites i found that only Dura ace do a crank arm in that length.

So my question, is there such a big diffrence between 175mm and 185mm , besides the obvious.

And lastly who else makes big cranks.

Thanks in advance

The best advice is this..... A: its generalising when saying leg length is a factor. Firstly look at your cadence,do you power a large gear or spin a easier gear,reason being,the longer the crank,the greater the arc or revolution circumferance,thus the "longer" the period spent in the "dead spot" ,roughly the 7 to 11 o clock position. So a power rider will generate enough force to "push" through the dead spot while a spinner relies on speed through that dead spot,the only reason people assume longer legs mean longer cranks is that longer legs have more muscle mass to produce power with.......but it isn't always the case!! I push a 180 54 tooth crank on my TT bike but can't climb with it but my training bike has 175 and climbing is a dream as it "spins easier"! Secret is, build your bike according to your style and strong points!

Hi Hubbers

I found a site on the net, that gives crank arm lengths acording to your leg length.

After measuring i see that i need a 180mm crank arm.

After searching the various sites i found that only Dura ace do a crank arm in that length.

So my question, is there such a big diffrence between 175mm and 185mm , besides the obvious.

And lastly who else makes big cranks.

Thanks in advance

Can you please post the link to the site?

Thanks for the answers so far

@superj i am based in Durban

@dubber88 i searched crank arm length on google and there are various sites