carbon parts - how to make them

rudi-h

I've been playing around with the idea of making something from carbon fibre, and maybe one day when i'm big i'd like to build my own frame.

Anybody have any experience of how to do it, where to buy the carbon and resin etc?

where abouts are you? you can get from a place in Umbilo road (Durban). It's not too expensive, but you limited to the weight of cloth available in South Africa. Actually using the stuff is pretty simple, easier than fiberglass. what's important to know is that layers of carbon fibre don't "stick" together, which is why most manufacturers use vacuum systems, also the orientation of the fibre's make a big difference strength wise.. Loads of youtube videos, mostly for car parts but still the same. otherwise check out bruno's site here for how he built his carbon fibre bike

http://www.bmeres.com/images/carbonbike.jpg

and instructables. good luck.

"Before wrapping, I perforated the tape with a pin over the whole surface. This squeezed out excess resin after wrapping."

that must've taken him forever!!

"Before wrapping, I perforated the tape with a pin over the whole surface. This squeezed out excess resin after wrapping."

that must've taken him forever!!

not really, if you get injection needles, preferably as a 18 gauge, you should be able to push it to the core of the roll from the outside with a bit of force thus perforating the whole roll quickly

where abouts are you? you can get from a place in Umbilo road (Durban). It's not too expensive, but you limited to the weight of cloth available in South Africa. Actually using the stuff is pretty simple, easier than fiberglass. what's important to know is that layers of carbon fibre don't "stick" together, which is why most manufacturers use vacuum systems, also the orientation of the fibre's make a big difference strength wise.. Loads of youtube videos, mostly for car parts but still the same. otherwise check out bruno's site here for how he built his carbon fibre bike

http://www.bmeres.com/images/carbonbike.jpg

and instructables. good luck.

the only thing i'm curious about is how did he remove the polystyrene from the inside of the finished frame, or was it just left there?

i think he left it in there, added little in terms of weight but did improve stiffness i think

the only thing i'm curious about is how did he remove the polystyrene from the inside of the finished frame, or was it just left there?

Sounds like it stayed in there :)

anyone know if someone has turned normal road rims into Carbon Deep Sections? How would one bond the Carbon to the Alloy rim?

anyone know if someone has turned normal road rims into Carbon Deep Sections? How would one bond the Carbon to the Alloy rim?

Since it's non-structural, the epoxy resin would provide enough bond to keep it in place.

Where would one find, things like the drop outs and bb shell etc if you decided to build up a frame

The polystyrene can be removed by pouring acetone into the frame, which will dissolve the polystyrene. A jelly type substance will then pour slowly out of the frame. One just need to make sure that the resin or epoxy used is acetone resistent.

Where would one find, things like the drop outs and bb shell etc if you decided to build up a frame

I am sure there are a few broken frame lying around your LBS that they would be happy to part with for a few rand.

just keep in mind that you can't bond metal direct to carbon fiber, you need a buffer of fiberglass or else you get corrosion at the joint.

@brad890 parts can be ordered from columbus tubing or henry james.

I'd love to build my own carbon frame but doubt it will happen any time soon. Am just finding this thread interesting.

and who knows maybe one day i might just build my own lol