How much do you eat/drink in a mtb marathon event?

bradwentzel

Been getting more into MTB in the past year or so after mainly road riding and find that whenever i finish the marathon (60-70km) race, i am hammered with a general decline in output after the 40km mark.

I'm not the most unfit chap in the universe, so can only account this to the fact that i am not eating/drinking enough during the event. Currently i use around 2 bottles with filling one up mid race from the waterpoints (so technically 3 bottles) and have a bar mid way. Clearly this road feeding plan that i have adopted isnt sufficient and i need to rethink strategies.

What are you guys tried and tested methods to try and beat hitting the wall too early?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At Sabie this year I took two bottles - 750ml each. Used both. I did not stop at any water points to refuel. I ate an energy bar about 50km in. Finshed in 4hr's.

I know, this does not help you as I consumed less and did not bonk.

Maybe what you should get from this is that is is not your eating plan that is not working but rather your training plan. ;)

Been getting more into MTB in the past year or so after mainly road riding and find that whenever i finish the marathon (60-70km) race, i am hammered with a general decline in output after the 40km mark.

I'm not the most unfit chap in the universe, so can only account this to the fact that i am not eating/drinking enough during the event. Currently i use around 2 bottles with filling one up mid race from the waterpoints (so technically 3 bottles) and have a bar mid way. Clearly this road feeding plan that i have adopted isnt sufficient and i need to rethink strategies.

What are you guys tried and tested methods to try and beat hitting the wall too early?

Anything over 40km I fill the camelbak with hammer perpetuem and take a bananna and snack bar. Has never dropped me. Carry 1-2 gels just incase, but dont use them unless you absolutely have to. Works for me :thumbup:

the best bet is to leave distances over 30km for the car, and only do races around the 20km mark :lol:

I would be interested to see other peoples answers to this.

My habit is generally 1 item (bar or banana) per hour, but I often eat less because I cant stomach it. So for example, if its a 4 hour ride I will have a jungle bar after 1 hour and after 2 hours, and then have a gu or two to get me home.

I generally drink 2x 750ml bottles, and a few cups of coke/water depending on how I feel.

the best bet is to leave distances over 30km for the car, and only do races around the 20km mark :lol:

:lol: :lol: u such a lazy @ss

Maybe what you should get from this is that is is not your eating plan that is not working but rather your training plan. ;)

I must admit, that my training plan (or lack thereof) does leave much to be required. Try slam the trainer a few nights a week, but beside that, work kinda monopolises the sunlight.

I usually use about 2 X 750 bottles, stop for a coke at 2 water points, one bar midway and one gel for the last 20km. Sometimes I drink more, sometimes less depending on how hot it is. For instance last year at Nissan Van Gaalens I almost drank 6L, but at Hazeldean this year I had about 1L

Eat regularly.

Eat a 1/4th energy bar every 45 minutes instead of a whole one after 3 hours.

Use the right race nutrition in your bottles.

Experiment with various products and find one that works for you.

Simulate your eating patern during training as well.

The closer you are to your race eating patern the better.

Try unprocessed carbs like baby potatoes in a ziplock bag with some olive oil and salt.

Usually 2 750 ml bottles is plenty for me for 60ks. Even then I find the sweet stuff gives me tummy cramps if I have too much, then can't have anything. Now trying 32gi, seems better. Chow cheddars and superCs.

I dont eat during a race, but ill drink about 1.5L of 32GI for a 60km.

Im with Candy 32gi no bonk no food for 5 hrs in the saddle, what a pleasure

The last 2 marathons I did, I had the same issues as bradwentzel.....Walkerville and Teak Place....everything goes A-OK until 40-45km's and then the wheels come off!! I do try to eat during the race, i.e. take a banana with, eat a energy bar....maybe one bottle of endurance drink may be a bit short!!! I do take two bottles, but one is water, the other endurance drink...

Next race, no water only endurance drinks...I can have a glass of water at a water table,if needed...

My previous marathons were not too bad....Hazeldean, Vori-Berg, Big Induna...

Guess, I must also start off a bit slower!!! :huh:

6 Beers before to carbo load and 12 afterwards to celebrate surviving.

Have never finished in the top half of the field though so probably crappy advice :D

But if im on a long training ride, i might stop and have a packet of jelly babies ;)

..... and a Banana Fudge Energy bar :w00t: