Vuelta a Espana 2012: 18 August - 09 September

'Dale

El Berto was well miffed after the finish that Purito made it back up to him and left him trailing at the end. And all the pundits were saying Rodriguez wont cope with the long big climbs and it will be a Conti vs Froome duel.

But as it pans out the best man won the day, and a great performance.

Final 2 k's from Contis attack (perhaps too soon?)

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 more consecutive summit finishes to follow.

RACE ON!

Froome Dog fighting to stay on the podium.

El Berto was well miffed after the finish that Purito made it back up to him and left him trailing at the end. And all the pundits were saying Rodriguez wont cope with the long big climbs and it will be a Conti vs Froome duel.

That extra gear that Rodriquez owns is just too much for the chasing 3.

Definitely too soon!

A year ago, he would have made it stick by repeatedly attacking in the last 2km.

I hate to think in what condition he will be come next year...

I hate to think in what condition he will be come next year...

Unless he starts eating meat again, I think this is a fair reflection of his best form. Purito worries me. Maybe he has been eating 'Berto's share.

Unless he starts eating meat again, I think this is a fair reflection of his best form. Purito worries me. Maybe he has been eating 'Berto's share.

Dont think dope has anything to do with it, he is a great climber and just lost out on this years giro due to his tt ability. Alberto will only get stronger, to be 2nd sofar in this tour after 6m out is a great result,

Dont think dope has anything to do with it, he is a great climber and just lost out on this years giro due to his tt ability. Alberto will only get stronger, to be 2nd sofar in this tour after 6m out is a great result,

His time trial was a little out of form? Actually, quite a lot out of form. Hid climbing I buy - even though I didn't expect him to ride as well on the long climbs, motivation must be pretty high right now. The TT, quite a big jump in improvmement in his worst discipline...

Yeah agree, its actually 18 months since 'Berto rode a grand tour (2011 TDF) - so,Yeah, in retrospect, I too think his form is good, excellent actually, when he attacked no one else could follow or even come across except Rodriguez, which speaks volumes, plus again, it was an ideal finish for Purito, steep and sharp and he didnt disappoint.

Today may not be to the liking of Rodriguez and definitely not tomorrow, so we will just have to see, I think his morale is high right now and he will not give up easily, although he has openly said someone will blow over these three days (hopefully not him I guess :) ) but if he is able to hold on till the rest day on Tuesday he will likely hold on to Madrid.

:) - Ha,Ha, Yeah, wasn't he just....!

........but he was all smiles at the post stage interview so I think looking back he realized he still did well and distanced two big contenders, I think he was hoping to take the stage today and Rodriguez spoiled that party, but he was better on the day and 'Berto knows that, I doubt there's hard feelings.

Rodriguez delivers a great face slap to produce that orca all teeth grimace of contador's that i like to see. Contador replies by handing off the tv jurno ala Armstrong

Love it gr8 entertainment

Yesterday contador gambled and lost. Still 3 Beeeg stages to come and he and Saxo rode like it was the final mountain stage. He's not behaving like someone who has been out of major stage races for so long.

Feel for Froome, but in reality he did quite well to hang onto his 3rd overall. Hopefully he is pacing himself and will recover and some of the other GC contenders will start to struggle.

I hope you are joking,because if you are not then you obviously don't know much about cycling. :ph34r:

I hope you are joking,because if you are not then you obviously don't know much about cycling. :ph34r:

Educate me? What am I missing?

Go Rodriguez. :thumbup:

Lol at the excuses for Contador , Last TDF Contador's performance was excused because it was claimed he was tired, particularly after riding the Giro, now its because he has not raced enough :w00t:

True.

Plus the 6 months out was a BAN. Not the easiest mental challenge to navigate.

GO, PURITO, FOR YOUR 1st EVER GT WIN!

'Berto vs Purito again.

Hopefully, Froome Dog can make it count. And retain his 3rd placing.

Otherwise the very competent Valverde will make it an all-Spanish top 3.

http://www.lavuelta.com/12/imgrecorrido/15_perfil.png

Edited by puncheur

Go Rodriguez. :thumbup:

Lol at the excuses for Contador , Last TDF Contador's performance was excused because it was claimed he was tired, particularly after riding the Giro, now its because he has not raced enough :w00t:

No excuses, just a fact.

Its like saying Froome is tired, not an excuse, just a fact.

On the day Rodriguez was better, thats the way it was, no one disputes that Scotty, I dont understand the aggro.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy